Wind problems

Bluedeacon

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to this night hunting thing. Crapshoot and I went out the other night and in 9 stands called in 6 critters. Here was the problem, we only got a shot at one. Which Crapshoot killed. The wind was blowing pretty good and they all didn't show themselves until they turned into the wind, well as soon as they did, they winded us and lit out. Never had a chance for a shot. It kind of went like this,
"Theres one"
"Damn, he's gone"
Any suggestions? We were using a remote Foxpro, that was with us. Should we set the dang thing upwind from us? And hope to see them right when they get to the caller, I don't know if I can handle Crapshoot shooting in the direction of my caller, :eek: there is a reason he has that name you know.

Pay more attention to the visibility downwind of your stand. Try to set up where the animals have to cross a clearing to get downwind. Also turn off the caller as soon as you see eyes and lip squeak or use a coaker to bring them the rest of the way in. That way you will have more control of where they stop for the shot.

You might even put a rabbit or maybe a decoy of some kind in the opening cat whacker was talking about. You need to get them to stop for a shot. Wind is pretty tough, so you have to be ready for a quick shot. Randy

Back