SCORE: LOUDMOUTH/NV COMBO 1, YOTES 0

kytimberman

Went out last Sat. night with a buddy from AR who was in for the weekend. He was really wanting to try out the Gen 3 NVPS-10 monocle I have, so I had him spotting while I worked the Loudmouth and kept my .223 Handi Rifle with Gen 3 NV scope mounted on it ready. Nothing but starlight showing at the time, as the moon did not come up til about 1 AM. Set the Loudmouth up about 75 yds crosswind of us, while we got next to a lone tree out in a freshly cut hay field so to have a little background cover. I started out with the cottontail real low on the Loudmouth, and would play for half a minute or so, then pause, and was gradually increasing the volume to about halfway up. About the third round of calling he says "here they come, hit the mute", which I did, and we started lip squeaking. They changed course slightly, he says, "comin' in at 1:00", I shifted slightly as I cocked the rifle and looked through the scope in that direction, and in about a second picked up two coyotes as they crested a little hill about 50 yds out and bearing right straight at us. I had the inverted "V" in the NV scope right on the nose of the bigger one, and at about 35 yds she stopped suddenly and got that "aw s**t" look about her, but it was too late. I squeezed, the Handi cracked, and one yote folded in its tracks. The other one swapped ends and raced back over the hill, while we quickly resumed lip squeaks, but it knew something was badly wrong. It would bark at us, and I would bark/challenge back, but no coming back in. Another 'yote started the same number a little further off, and about that time the moon came up real bright and pretty, shining right on us under that tree. "Looks like we're done, I said, at least for this spot, but that was GREAT!" Thanks, Wayne- you have really hit a home run with this Loudmouth!
fac05a71.jpg

Y'all are having waaaaaaay too much fun with that night vision!! It sounds like you have mastered the Loudmouth as well!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Back