? for Randy / why not

gary saurage

Randy,

This is Gary from Southeast Texas. A couple of nights ago I called a new 800 acre cow pasture that was grown up on both sides of the road. The growth was about thigh high. I used distress calls for the first ten minutes, nothing responded so I used Johnny sterwarts prey master with the locator call. Still nothing, I picked up my siren and played it for about one minute, the land came alive with howling coyotes. I will stop here and let you tell me what I should have done next. Several of the howls were very close. Please give me your answer and I will tell you what else happened. Thanks, I'm really trying to learn how to go to the next level.

Gary, were you hunting on the ground, or in a truck, or what?? (red light?)

Next, when you said the brush was thigh high, that sounds fairly thick, and there is a fair chance that they could have seen you without seeing them. For me, it seems like this time of year there is a lot of pups and various vocalizations from all age groups. The siren is usually use as a locator, and it usually comes before any distress calls are made. I have used a challenge call some in the spring when a coyote will bark at me or challenge, and I have called several doing that.

I'm not sure you didn't just get busted, and they were there a short distance away when you hit a chord they couldn't resist.

When that happens, I usually try to move a good ways down the road, or to another part of the pasture, set up again and get where they can't bust you. Not knowing your set-up and the exact terrain, it's kinda' hard. Tell me more and I'll try to help. Randy

Randy,

I was hunting in the back of the truck using a red light. After playing the siren and hearing all the coyotes I went back to a distress call, finaally a coyote came up the road from behind me. One of my questions is will a coyote still respond to a distress call after he has howled at a siren? Why do they howl at a siren? Should I use the siren, it really helps my confidence but if it hurts my chances of success then I don't need to use it. Last but not least, I have tried howling with the tally-ho and a few other howlers, I can't get it right. Will learning there talk really take me to the next level and if so please help me to get there. I am the only person in southeast Tx. calling coyotes and I am getting enough land and enough kills along with people who are offering me money to take them predator hunting, now I need to get really good. Thanks.

Gary,

I will let Randy elaborate, but if you are in an area where you know there are coyotes, using a locator call can only hurt you. Just set up properly and start calling. I am sure Randy will fill you in on not lighting up the truck, etc.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Calypso,

start calling with what type of call this time of year? I'm killing coyotes but it seems to be to slow for the amount of coyotes that I hear when I do a locator call. I'm just trying to put a few more pieces of this puzzle together. I have been using distress calls so far.

Gary, where in SE, Texas are ya? I live in Cypress, NW of Houston, so I was curious. I imagine you are out towards B-mont? I have called north of Houston, but never east. Moderate to low success on my end, so I need to learn more like you. Last time I went out I had too many people with me and they made too much noise, but it was their land, so w/o them I wasn't there. We had some eyes show up briefly, but not for long with one ole boy laughing at the way the chicken distress sounded! Pretty frustrating..........

Good questions thus far!

I think the distress is always the best call to tart out with. Ever notice how a guy from Mexico looks at you when you try to speak spanish and don't really have a clue what you are saying?? He looks at you like a cow looking at a new gate.It's like a human trying to talk coyote
if he don't really know what he's doing. The Howl triggers their "socializin'mode" and if you speak english, and they speak spanish... you get the picure? 99% of the coyotes I kill are with a distress call. I only get aggrivated when I howl after a set and hear coyotes in the area. Sometimes(rarely) there will be one or two stupid enough to come to my howl after the distress. To me it's like the coyote saying"I came and found that rabbit we heard...come help me eat it!!" I don't think they are worried about their pals at that time. The siren blast triggers their vocalizations too, much like the howl. Ever notice allthe dogs in your neighborhood really start raisin' cain when a police car sounds it's siren? It's the same trigger, communication.

Now, we need to figure out why they stopped coming to the distress to start with:
Was it dark?
were you quiet?
Did you vary your sounds(like a rabbit weakening)?
Did you keep the light high??...Too high?? too low??
Did they wind you?

All it takes is for one old coyote to see you,(or hear or smell you). You must keep the light moving at all times until you see eyes, then DO NOT take the light off the coyote. You can halo him,(raise the light above his body, so the beam don't hit right in his eyes), but never take the light completely away from him.

Try this:
Get a buddy and go out at night. get out in the pasture and have your pal shine the light from the truck, on you. Watch the truck disappear as he hits you with the beam, then, have himtake it off you, and the truck suddenly reappears. It's the same way with critters,(only worse).

They are most likely busting you, I wouldn't use a siren, or howler at first, especially this time of the year. Stay with distress calls. I think you'll find as the weather starts to get colder and they get hungrier, you'll have plenty of luck. Randy

Randy,

Thanks for your time. I was set on paying the money and learning how to call with the red desert howler. After hearing what you have to say, I'll just stay with all of the distress calls. My only other area of concern is that maybe I'm not staying put long enough, (15 minutes) MAYBE i NEED TO STAY LONGER.
If any one else is reading this I hope you have gained fron Randy's knowledge as I have. Thanks again for your patience Randy.
A student of the hunt
Gary Saurage

Gary,

Randy is definately the master here, but I'd like to chime in and reinforce Calypso's comments about using the locator siren. One of those will often trigger a vocal response from a coyote, as will a train whistle, police car, etc. But it doesn't usually mean they will then come to a call. Try this: Take your locator siren and make a few stops one night, sounding the siren by some of your hunting spots. Note if and when you get a response from any coyotes. Then leave. Come back the next night, about the same time, slip in there as quiet as you possibly can, and use a distress call...very quietly and sparingly at first. Give 'em a different sound, if you can. I don't know which hand call you use, but can you make a bird in distress sound with it, for example?

As far as howling and such, flip over to "Hand Calls" and see if you can get Rich Cronk to reply. He talks to coyotes a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif , and he can give you tips (maybe even send you a tape) of various coyote and puppy vocalizations. My humble opinion is that if you aren't fairly proficient at that, don't do it at all.

I do think though, that there are maybe one or two more people in SE Texas who call coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Give varmint_hunter (Ronnie) a shout. He's a wealth of info, and a genuine pro.

Good luck,
ScottD

Gary,

Randy is definately the master here, but I'd like to chime in and reinforce Calypso's comments about using the locator siren. One of those will often trigger a vocal response from a coyote, as will a train whistle, police car, etc. But it doesn't usually mean they will then come to a call. Try this: Take your locator siren and make a few stops one night, sounding the siren by some of your hunting spots. Note if and when you get a response from any coyotes. Then leave. Come back the next night, about the same time, slip in there as quiet as you possibly can, and use a distress call...very quietly and sparingly at first. Give 'em a different sound, if you can. I don't know which hand call you use, but can you make a bird in distress sound with it, for example?

As far as howling and such, flip over to "Hand Calls" and see if you can get Rich Cronk to reply. He talks to coyotes a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif , and he can give you tips (maybe even send you a tape) of various coyote and puppy vocalizations. My humble opinion is that if you aren't fairly proficient at that, don't do it at all.

I do think though, that there are maybe one or two more people in SE Texas who call coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Give varmint_hunter (Ronnie) a shout. He's a wealth of info, and a genuine pro.

Good luck,
ScottD

Gary,

On second though, myself and a long-time friend and hunting partner, Ronnie Robinson (Kolpin Outdoors Gold Staff member) would like to set up a hunt with you. What are your rates, and when can we set it up?

Thanks,
ScottD

ScottD,

The first one is on me! I beleive that after you see all of the land that I have available you will be back. i need to spend time with people who have been around this exciting sport and learn a little more before I jump into the world of guided hunts. Email me at ssaurage@ih2000.net I'll show you prime coyote land.

Back