kids and calling

purdygood

I had sat and watched the NASCAR race last night and afterwards I decided to go and try to call in a few critters.

I didn't really want to go alone so I took my 7 year old son Brian with me.

He didn't waste any time getting ready to go.We loaded up and were hunting not 30 minutes after we left the house.

I had told Brian that there was a good chance that we wouldn't see anything with the moon as full as it was.I thought Brian would enjoy it more if he sat in my lap while I called from my chair.It was working ok for about 10 minutes then his little bony butt seemed to get heavier and heavier.Well I'm sure he was enjoying it but I began to figet and kept trying to get comfortable to no avail.The moon was full and it was partly cloudy and a slight NNE wind we called for about 30 minutes(I couldn't take his bony butt anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )so we decided to go to another spot.

We made a short trip about a mile away and set up again,this time Brian decided he would stand on the rack at the back of my Bronco and watch all the coyotes come in.This stand we only had a big owl come to the call.We ended this one and moved on to the next one.

The next place we went has not been called by me since early last year. It is a CRP patch surrounded on 3 sides by cropland and on the other is a small plya lake bottom.We got out and took our positions and I began to call with a call that was custom made by NVWalt.Just as soon as I hit the first note on the call I spun the light around an got the unmistakable glow of eyes in the grass at less than 100 yards out.I continued on at a slightly softer volume on the call.The critter immeadiatly began jumping thru the grass to the call and light.The Coyote then stepped out onto the two track we had just driven in on and stood there briefly,not long enough to get the shot and he was off again.The next time he stopped he had placed his front 1/3 of his body behind a tumble weed.

At this point I decided to take the shot before he went any further and got our wind.I had a great view of the rear 2/3's of his broadside body behind the weed,I squeezed the shot off and heard the meat report of the round.The coyote made a 180 and took off thru the CRP.Not fast with the after burners lit like you would think with a missed shot.

I got on the call again and it wasn't 2 minutes and I had a whole other set of eyes reflecting in the light and heading my way again.They stopped out at about 200 yards,I lip squeaked and here they came again.I continued to lip squeak and bring it on into the light.At this point I lowered the beam and put the brunt of the light on the coyote as I watched him thru my scope.He eventually wound up in a bare spot in the lake bottom at less than 100 yards.Seeing the opportunity I took the shot and heard the meat report again.The coyote didn't go down but trotted off and kept looking back to me and the light.I kept calling thinking he was still interested in the dying rabbit with that oh so bright light.I was wrong.He kept getting further and futher away till I couldn't shine his eyes any more.He again didn't bust outta there like a missed coyote either.

Both of these didn't react like any other coyote I have shot at and missed.They acted like there was something up with them after the shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know I heard the bullet impact on meat.I know I had good solid shots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Maybe I will change to some BT's or HP's.Up until these two I have had only one that didn't go straight down at the shot.

Well at this point we decided to make one more stand a couple miles away.Brian fell asleep on the short trip between stands (it was getting close to 01:45am).We arrived at our last destination ,a large plya lake bottom and setup one last time.

This time I went with the Primos Regulator 14 doing the dying rabbit blues.It wasn't 3 minutes into the call and I had not 1 but 3 big ol' owls hovering above me,talk about eerie.I called for about 20 minutes and spotted eyes directly down wind of us out about 400 yards(no chance) I thought what the heck and kept calling for a short while .He never came in but I could see him out there just watching.We packed it up and headed to the house.

Brian had just barley got situated in the front sleep and he was out like a light.

He has recounted the events of last night with everyone he has seen today with lots of details.

Last night as I was calling and the light was not moving Brian would ask me in a wisper is he still coming to the call( he acted like he'd done it a thousand times before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif They do pay attention)?Then when he noticed there was not much action up in the chair he would say I guess he isn't going to come on into the call dad.What do ya say we call it a night?( I think he was tired /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Awesome story! No blood trail? I know how hard it is to track in the dead of night. Sometimes it's hard to see them when they are laying there right infront of you.

Good for you Ray, I wish my dad would have taken me. I had to learn all by myself, and I could have used some help along the way. Good for you for taking your son.
I took a buddy's 12 year old out a few times. He missed a coyote at 30 yards, then killed one at about 250(downwind)..Go figure.

Maybe you need to shoot a bigger gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Great story Ray. Let me share a short story with you. I took my son Cody, and a good frind of mine and his son Levi on a short drive one cold morning to see how the cows were doing. At the time the two boys were about five years old and could barley see over the dash in my ford truck. We just started out and we see a bobcat about one hundred and fifty yards out. She starts to run and I step out of the truck and roll her on the first shot ( a lucky shot for sure). My good frind said that was one hell of a shot and I told him I got lucky. My boy cody jumps in and said no that was not luck my dad dose that all the time. Priceless!

Back