eyes what color at night?

Some people say they look different colors. I use dykem on my light. They all look yellowish green with a red tint to them to me.

Crapshoot, I've used Dykem before and just plane red plastic. No matter what I use I always see gold or like you said a yellowish color on cats. I see a bluish or whitish color on coyotes. To be honest, I don't think it's the animals eyes that make the difference. Randy see's red all the time and Randys not alone, others also see red. We all use the same color lights, so that makes me think it's a human thing. What are your thoughts on this subject, I find it interesting.

I never payed that much attention . Been to busy identifying the target and trying to get a good shot. I'll try and see if i notice anything this winter.

I can never tell the difference just in the eye color. All eyes look the same to me as far as color goes. I look for the spacing between the eyes, and the height off of the ground. Then I look for the body shape. I need them under 150 yards to tell what the animal is. If I can't tell what type of animal it is by the body I just don't shoot.

Ok guys, I have a Field Guide to the Mammals of North America, by William H.Burt, Professor of Zoology and Richard P.Grossenheider, a Zoologist. Mind you, I'm sure they are using white lights not red lights but I thought it would be interesting to post it.
Coyote--eyeshine is greenish gold.
Gray Wolf--eyeshine is greenish orange.
Red Wolf--eyeshine is gold to bluish green.
Jaguar--eyeshine is golden.
Mt lion--eyeshine is greenish gold.
Bobcat--eyeshine is greenish gold.
Nothing on foxes.

with the red filter I have had cows, deer, coyote all have red eyes for me any ways. In the white light they all have looked the same to me also(bluish). Maybe I'm just a little color blind. I can only tell by the space batween the eyes and to look at the body.

I also do more day hunting than night hunting.

Back