Which gen-III ???? or gen-II ???

orkan

Well, I have been doing a LOT of research lately about NV optics.

I have the cash, and am going to spring for a Gen-III. I thought about thermal, but they are TOOOO much. hehehe

I'm going to stick it on a flat-top AR.
I dont want to spend more than 3k. (not too much more anyway)

So far, the US Night Vision NV-443 seems to be one of the better buys.

Or would i be better off saving some cash and going with a gen-II? The PVS-4 seems to be regarded pretty highly.

IMHO, Gen 3 is not worth the price of admission considering the improvement over Gen 2. See my brothers post (223s). His PVS-4 w/ IR filter on Surefire are pretty impressive.

I beg to differ on that. You can pick up a nice PVS-4 for around $1000-$1200, gen II. You can pick up a nice Gen III PVS-7 goggle set with 51lp/mm or even 64l/mm tube for $1800-$2000. Believe me, there is a world of difference between the two tubes. You can buy a PVS-14 variant with a 6l4lp/mm+ tube for $2000-$2400 that will mount on any weapon and weighs next to nothing. If you look thru a Gen II tube vs. a Gen III tube on any night other than full moon, clear skies, you will immediately understand. And the Gen III's get better the darker it gets.

I have owned many a PVS-4, both in 36lp/mm gen II, Gen II+, and Gen III 45lp/mm and they are definitely very accurate workhorses and tough to beat for a Gen II weapons scope. But Gen III is a whole new world, that is just the way it goes.

That being said, keep rocking with your PVS-4, they are top notch Gen II scopes!!

thanks
Jason

iownthenight,

So, where is a good place to buy this stuff? I want a dedicated NV unit that I can easily mount on my flat-top AR. PVS-7 is not an option.

I would like a unit that I will be able shoot MOA groups at out to 300yds.

What are some good options in the gen-II and III categories?... and where can I pick them up!?!??! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Orkan,

The 443 is a fine scope in Gen III. The PVS-4 is also a fine scope for the flattop AR-15, in Gen II. Either one will work well, with the upper hand going to the 443 because of the 64lp/mm tube. You will have much greater range of recognition with the Gen III tube, so you will be able to shoot more accurately. But a PVS-4 is less expensive and just as accurate (if not more accurate) at 100 yards. It is built the best also, with the best optics hands down. But the Gen III will allow you to see far beyond the PVS-4, especially on a very dark night.

You can't go wrong with either, Gen III is definitely heads above Gen II, not even a comparison.

Contact me if you are interested in the 443, as I know a guy who has the best deals on these, he is an agent for USNV and cannot be beat on price from what he says. Let me know. Sorry it took so long to reply!

Jason

Back