Hornady spsx ?

cooperman223

Anyone shooting Hornady SPSX 55gr in their .223s ? i have been told they are very explosive and accurate, but is that just sales talk from the gun shop, i am shooting a 1/9 twist barrel, if you use them have you got a load that shoots well ?. I mainly use H335 or H4895.

I tried the 50 grs in the my 22-250 last year pushed with about 35gr of Varget, they looked good on paper. I haven't tried them on varmints but their known for being explosive on P-dogs but probably wouldn't be a good clean round for Coyotes. Before I tried them I was afraid they might disintegrate in air but they have to be pushed harder than I would, to do that.

I've heard you need to be carefull about pushing them too fast but have no 1st hand experience of any probs. I've tried them and they are very accurate out of my 22-250. I've only shot a couple of yotes with them and they did exit but didn't do a bunch of damage. I prefer the 52 grn. MHP bullets myself as my shots do tend to be quite long and they are better balistically. I do plink with them occasionally maybe tomorrow I'll use them just to refresh myself.

SPSX is a very good choice of bullet for coyotes. I use the 50 Gr. bullet in my .222 and .223 both are very accurate and give fine performance. You won't see them disintegrate unless you have a rough barrel or start pushing them well over 3400 fps and that isn’t going to happen with a .223.

I've had very good luck with BL-C(2) and RL7.

Last edited:
I use 55 gr in my 22-250 with very good results around 3400 fps.Exit most of the time but with very little damage. In my 222 I use 50 gr at 3100 fps but did have one ugly tear on a quartering away shot. They where originally designed as a varmint bullet for the 222 and do work very well for the price of them. They do come with a warning not to excede 3400 fps.

I have been using the 50gr SX in my 22-250 for shooting ground squirrel's for a few years with explosive results. Not being one to follow the manufactures suggestions to the letter at around 3600 you will have the occasional faliure. I'm still working on loads using them in my 223. I was not happy with the groups using 748 so I've tried Benchmark and so far the best group at 1/2" is
26gr's of Benchmark
50 gr Hornady SX
205 federal Primers.
One coyote kill so far at approx 50 yds with no exit wound. Hope this helps.

I use the 50's in my .223 with 1:9 twist and have excellent accuracy. I think the 50 is a better weight for performance, I use the 55 in the 22-250. I use H380 which really meters well. One prairie dog I shot looked like he had a cookie cutter take a circle out of his chest.

I've used the 55 with good success in my 22-250. I run them right at max. Usually they dont exit on coyotes, but when they do the damage is not too bad.

Have shot lots of coyotes with the spsx in 223 in the 1970s and1980s No complaints, they penetrated and then expanded without an exit.I liked them also because they quickly disintegrate when the hit the ground or brush,less ricochets on frozen ground.

I will try some on paper to see how they shoot with H335, fed 205m primer, then they will be used mainly on fox and rabbits, should be fun. Thanks for the replies.

Back