Digital Night Vision?

R Buker

Does anyone know anything about how well the new digital night vision works? They sure hype it up.

I see Cabelas has an Aurora digital night vision for 499.00. There's another one called nitemax that is a bit cheaper.

I'd sure be interested in hearing anything any of you might know.

Randy

Watson,

You don't know how lucky you are to be able to use lights down there. We poor slobs up here in the north land have to rely on the moon or good night vision. I'm trying for the best of both worlds. I tried out a gen 1 and gen II night vision this past weekend. Neither are very good. The Gen II would work but not well.

Yes, I'm coming down. My nephew and his bud are so hot to hunt down there after seeing my video from last year that they'd skin me alive if I were to back out. (besides, we are gonna make that night hunting movie and make a million bucks) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So, back to my question... What about digital night vision?....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Randy

I have one of those digital night viewers. IMO it works good under some circumstances, not so good in others. The units have IR illuminaters, which is what allow you to see in the dark, and works like a flashlight. If there are no obstructions up close the thing works good and can see upto 200 ft, and the picture is clear. However, if there is brush or trees up close that will reflect the light, it will blind the viewer, and you won't be able to see past the obstruction. It's just too bright.
I think it would be much better than a gen 1 or 2 monocular.
Personnally, I have a gen 3 weapon sight from U.S. Night Vision. It's a quality unit and worth the money in my eyes. But if I had it to do over again, I would buy a pvs-14(the monogoggle) and get an aimpoint that will work with nv. It would cost more but it would be the perfect setup.

Back