Night hunting, with no LIGHT

OdieWon

Here in South Dakota it is legal to hunt predators at night, but NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHTS, and NO NIGHT VISION.

I'm trying to figure out how this is going to be very effective.

Can anyone give some advice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In Vt we have the same laws. You can hunt at night and can even bait, but no lights. Snow helps a lot. On snow covered ground, even with cloud cover you can see for 50-75 yards. With a moon you should be good to 100+ yards. Once you get into woods, all bets are off. You'll be squinting to make out things 20 yards away. It's also interesting to see the tricks your eyes play on you when you're really trying to see something come into you call. Good luck

An AR-15 with iron sights would possibly work if you flip the rear sight up to the night ring.

Otherwise just grab a scattergun since your range is going the be very limited in either case.

Hunting at night without the benefit of lights is just plain dumb !! Do something about it. Get the laws changed. You CAN do it. These law are written for sportsmen and should make sense and not be stupid !!

Hunting at night even with lights is dangerous. I wouldn't say it was dumb though. Night hunting on a clear night with a full moon and snow on the ground is one of the most peaceful and beautiful ways to hunt.

Hunting at night could be dangerous and that just reinforces the fact that lights should be used based on safety issues, and the potential for misidentification of the target while hunting at night. Wisconsin (has seen the light !) will soon change their laws allowing lights to be used while hunting coyotes at night.(Now pending) Common sense prevails !!.....Now we have to work on being able to hunt woodchucks in our state, currently they are protected. Go Packers !!

Night hunting without the aid of a light is something I would NOT do for more then one reason. Out west it is posable to call in a BEAR or a MT. LION and I don't like that idea without a light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Better yet, walking out to your stand and sitting on a RATTLESNAKE, good way to find out who your real friends are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

One more thing to think about when night hunting without a light is to identfy the animal. Without the aid of a light it can sometimes be hard, even if it's a full moon on snow, it is posable to shoot someones dog or cat. :rolleyes:

mocons1, I would say hunting without a light at night could be more dangerous then with one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

22magman, I havent heard anything about the light laws here in wisconsin. what can one do to get this thing past. i do taxidermy and have been doing the wolfs that are shot or road killed for the dnr and some of these young wolfs look so much like coyote im sure a little light would save a wolf or two. where in s.w. wisconsin are you?
Cracker

Cracker....I have been talking to the DNR for the last month or so complaining about the "no lights for coyotes" law. To make a long story short.....
I have been in contact with our local state representative and he is actively working on getting the law changed to include the use of lights while hunting coyotes at night. He stated that it should be changed within 6 months. Also....look on/in the "Predator Hunting" area.....under topic "Wisconsinites check in". Moostrot made a entry referencing this same subject. He called it AB374. It sounds like more than a few of us are interested in hunting laws that make sense. The way that the (WIS) coyote night hunting law is written now is totally wrong...for many reasons. Sanity will prevail. I live in SE Wisconsin....near Mukwonago.

22 magman i found the post under wisconsinites check in. and will be talking to some people today about this. hope we can make it happen. when the snow flies we should try to get together for some night time hunting
Sportingly
Cracker

Cracker....I think that it is a good idea to spread the word about this law change. The more support the better. I would welcome the opportunity to hunt with you in the future. Keep me posted as to any news regarding this light law change...I will do the same. Keep in touch. Bill W

Back