cool night 1 coyote and no bugs

purdygood

I decided to give it another shot before the work week stats for me again.I rigged up the Bronco for some night calling.I got set up for my fist call at about 10:30 a slight NNW wind and a half moon.I set up on the same plya lake bottom where I took a female the other morning.I had a plowed field to my West and the lake bottom to the East.I had expected something to show out of the bottom and circle around to get my wind.It didn't happen that way.I spun the light around and picked up eyes across the plowed field trying to circle to get my win.The only good shot I had was when it stopped with a farm house behind it.No shot,then it kept circling and finally got in amongst some equipent downwind of me and it fianlly bugged out of there.I called a bit longer and then moved about 1 mile to the north to another plya lake bottom.Nothing not even any bugs!

I moved to one last stand and decided to try the canine pup tape and after 20 minutes of watching an owl and wondering when he was going to attack me I finally got eyes bouncing thru the CRP grass out about 300 yds.I turned the volume down and the coyote turned and started coming into the sound.I figured with the moon as bright as it was I'd better keep it in the light.At about 100 yards I decided to take the shot while the coyote was in the shorter grass(I thought)before it got too close and busted me.I shot,the coyote dropped and I secured the light on the downed coyote and climbed down to go gather up the coyote.I bumped the chair as I was climbing down%**&%#$ moving it away from the area.I walked out there under the white light and searched for 30 minutes to no avail.I sure looks different from ground level.I could have walked right past him in the taller grass than I thought.I could probably go right out there and pick him up today.

It is tough hunting alone sometimes.
2 sets of eyes searching for downed coyotes is much easier than 1 set.

Yea, finding them critters in the dark seems easier than it really is. Once you get out of the chair, it's a different world huh? Same deal happened to Rusty and I Sunday night. Rusty tagged one at (guessing) 200 yards. Heard the whaap! and saw it flopping around and everything. Ran over there and searched for about 30 minutes and found nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Glad you got to get out. Better luck next time.

Later,

Joel

Just got in from my first night hunt for mr. coyote. I have not had any luck in the early morning or early evening so I decided to try later in the evening. I went out about 9 pm and set up my RS caller. I had just purchased a new portable light with a red lense and I wanted to try it out. Saw and heard nothing for an hour. Then at 10 pm sharp......I was checking the field just after I had called for a minute or so...I saw mr. coyote sneeking along the fence line coming straight for me !! I found it difficult to hold the light and aim my rifle at the same time.
Yes...I was by myself. My wife refused to go with me...can't imagine why ? Anyway...mr. coyote made a clean get away....but was exciting while it lasted. It was a beautiful nite with plenty of moonlight. Owell....I am learning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Funny you brought up bugs. I went out Friday night to a section I didnt know I had and I drove to my first stand where I scouted earlier that day. I got out and got set up, waited for things to die down and started calling. I think that I called in two thousand mesquitos. I had two sets of monstrous eyes coming in and got behind a fairly large mesquite tree 50 yards away. I lip squeeked. But couldnt help but jumping back in my pickup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Needless to say I wasnt prepared for that, and wasnt able to take any animals smelling like "OFF".

Think Ill wait a tad longer. Doesnt seem right hunting in flip-flops and a tank top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yep....I wish I was better at marking downed animals. That was the 3rd coyote shot from that stand so we kept calling and shining for a few minutes until we hopped out of the truck and started looking. It was hard to remember exactly where the coyote went down after taking my eyes and the light off of that spot for a minute. Oh well.....I know it was hit with a solid shot because it bounced around in the same spot for a couple of minutes. It would have at least moved more had it only been hit in the leg or butt. Still, I wish I had a good system to mark those animals that were shot at some distance. I guess we should have brought your bird dog, Joel!

Rusty

Back