Ruger not ejecting properly

lsanford

Good afternoon,

I got a new Ruger M77 Mark II .223 for coyote. The rifle shoots great but it frequently will not eject the cartridge spent or unfired. It pulls the round from the chamber fine but when the bolt comes all the way back it only ejects about 25% of the time. If i push the bolt forward a hair and then pull it back again it ejects MOST of the time. I have tried remington, federal and winchester ammo with same results.

Thanks

Is the round hanging up? I have the same rifle and had a problem similar to that. Check on the left side of the magazine for a sharp ragged edge. Careful you don't cut yourself. I took a file to mine and got rid of the ragged edge. One should not have to do that sort of thing to a new rifle.

If you are slowly ejecting the round, does it just not fully eject? What happens when you bring the bolt back a little faster?

Remove the bolt from the rifle and lightly oil the ejector detent. Get a fired cartridge brass and work the ejector back and forth. If you slip one side under the extractor you should be able to the use extractor as a pivot. When it seems loose and moving well..try insterting it in the rifle and see if it works.....I bet you just have a sticking ejector.

The other possibility is there is a little dirt or brass stuck under the extractor...check closely.

Good Luck...

Hummm?I don’t think the problem resides in the brass. M77 is based on the Mauser design, which is one of the most dependable actions, the ejector is located at the bottom of the bolt stroke when you pull it back, so make sure you are pulling the bolt back all the way with good rapidity.

These actions are made to work fast, not slow as mentioned. I would give Ruger a call before doing any filing on it.

Quote:
If you are slowly ejecting the round, does it just not fully eject? What happens when you bring the bolt back a little faster?

I can slam the bolt back and it makes no difference. Slow or fast the round just stays attatched to end of the bolt. The thing that is spring loaded to kick the shell (ejector detent?) has heavy spring to it and seems to be clearing in the slot and working properly.

What you are calling the detent is actually the ejector. Ruger used two types in the 77. The early ones were the plunger type in the bolt like a Remington 700 and the later was the true controlled feed type that springs out from the side of the receiver like a Mauser or Springfield 03. If I recall, the plunger types were the ones with the tang safety. If it is the pushfeed plunger type they frequently stick. It needs to be taken out of the gun, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. To test it you should be able to hold an empty case in the bolt tight against the boltface with one fingertip on the mouth of the case. Let your finger slip from the case mouth and the ejector should flip the case away sharply. About the only thing that will make the one in the receiver fail is a broken spring. Check to see that it fully raises up into the slot in the boltface, if not the spring could be weak or dirty. One thing in common to cause both types to fail is the extractor being fitted to tight to the case. This is very rare as Ruger doesn't hand fit this part like they were in the older rifles above. Is this a new gun that did this from day one, or did it work properly and then fail???? Difficult to do a diagnosis over the web, I could fix it in seconds if I had the rifle.

Quote:
Is this a new gun that did this from day one, or did it work properly and then fail????

This is a brand new weapon. It has malfunctioned from day one.

Ruger is slow, I would seek the local gunsmith whoever he is. He can probably at least identify the problem{if not actually fix it} that day. Failure to eject is not rocket science. This should not cost much to repair either. I will certainly fix it for you, but the shipping is going to cost more than the repair. Good luck.

Quote:
I would seek the local gunsmith whoever he is. He can probably at least identify the problem{if not actually fix it} that day. Failure to eject is not rocket science. This should not cost much to repair either. I will certainly fix it for you, but the shipping is going to cost more than the repair. Good luck.

I agree. Probably won't cost much either.

On the MK II, the ejector is a flat piece of steel that is spring loaded at the rear. Take the action out of the stock and examine all the visible areas that make contact with the ejector, you will be looking for burrs. Also take a look in the channel of the bolt that the ejector travels thru. If you see nothing visible, and you are comfortable with disassembling the trigger (really easy, just don't lose any springs when pins are pulled), take the trigger out and push out the pin that is the pivot for the ejector, being careful not to lose the ejector spring. Look in the channel and spring hole for a burr. Check the spring, check the ejector. Should be an easy operation....JOHN

Quote:
On the MK II, the ejector is a flat piece of steel that is spring loaded at the rear. Take the action out of the stock and examine all the visible areas that make contact with the ejector, you will be looking for burrs. Also take a look in the channel of the bolt that the ejector travels thru. If you see nothing visible, and you are comfortable with disassembling the trigger (really easy, just don't lose any springs when pins are pulled), take the trigger out and push out the pin that is the pivot for the ejector, being careful not to lose the ejector spring. Look in the channel and spring hole for a burr. Check the spring, check the ejector. Should be an easy operation....JOHN

I hope by now you have the problem figured out if not fixed. How is it going?...

I;m gonna take it to a gunsmith first chance i get. I did what all of you guys said. The ejector is working right, it's almost like the end of the bolt hangs onto the shell too strongly if that makes sense?

I have a new Hawkeye Compact .223 that does the same thing. I'm going to check in with Ruger and see what they say. Seems like an issues with the .223.

Looked this over pretty good and it is beyond me .Spring ok and blade ejector works easily free . I took the easy way out and it is on its way back to Ruger . After searching the web a lot it seems to be somewhat of a "known issue "

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleLooked this over pretty good and it is beyond me .Spring ok and blade ejector works easily free . I took the easy way out and it is on its way back to Ruger . After searching the web a lot it seems to be somewhat of a "known issue "

I did the same thing. Sending it back to Ruger.

Back