Weekend report (Dykem included)

Woodrow

Well this weekend was a bust! I called in two coons and a skunk. The grass is so tall at the ranch I was hunting that something could have slipped in and out pretty easy, but I was positioned as good as I could have been. I used tank dams to get elevated a bit, tried it from the ground and from my truck. I would have liked to have a partner with me.....4 eyes are better than two.

I personally did not like the Dykem set up. I am going to go with Randy on this one and say that the lens system is more versitile. Rusty, I see where you are coming from on your stance, and it makes sense for you............and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But for me, I am going to remove the Dykem from my main light for sure and probably my scope light.

What didn't you like about it exactly? Not having the white-light option? Or visual problems? I find it easier to see with the dykem as opposed to the lens. However, not having the option to use the white-light is sometimes a hinderance. (Specifically, it makes for looking for downed critters more difficult.) Curious as to your thoughts.

Take care,
Joel

Joel, the option is the main thing. As far as downed game, unfortunatley I did not look for downed game. But I think it could be a hinderance. I thought the clarity was fine, probably even better than a lens (my lens is old and scratch too). It is a really cool process, but I think I would like to have the flexibility of the lens. There were 3 situations that I really wanted the brighter white light. Twice when I was driving alond I spotted eyes that I thought and still think were deer bedded, but I never saw a deer rise and take off........the eyes were pretty far apart, so I am pretty sure they were deer. I looked through binocs and couldn't tell.
Then, when one of the coons came in, he was pretty far away and it was tough to be sure he was a coon. Just by the way he moved, I was pretty sure it wasn't a coyote, but it could have been a cat......finally ID'ed him as a coon though.
And finally, I saw a huge buck, I mean huge. But I couldn't see details that well with the red light........it doesn't have anything to do with predator hunting, but I would have loved to see how big that sucker was.......probably 160+.

To each his own, the Dykem was cool. If I had a light that didn't have a red lens, Dykem would be great. I hope yall keep slaying em up in yalls country. Hopefully I will be heading that way in late Nov for mule deer......keeping my fingers crossed.

Them sound like dern good reasons to me, Woodrow. Good luck to you.

BTW, that is the very best line in one of my all time favorite movies. I like your signature line.

I think the dykem is a fantastic idea, since my 250 yard LSI scope light is useless with the red filter lense in it. I think it will work fine with the dykem in it, seems a whole lot brighter. I usually hunt with my sons, and haven't tryed it solo so I couldn't say for sure how affective the light is now.

Well cat whacker, I haven't had a chance to visit with him much so I don't have much to report. But I sure didn't help him out the night I went out. Too hot! (and too many dern jack rabbits) I'm hoping to get back out there soon and maybe have some luck and help the guy out too (if it really is cats that are killing his sheep). You mentioned possibly stomach worms or something, right? I'm no rancher so I don't know a thing about that. Maybe I'll get a chance to mention that when I talk to him.

Take care.

Joel

Back