new member in tx.

I bet they only pay on red fox...not greys. You could make some decent money if they did in fact pay $35 for greys. Reds are a threat to sheep while the greys don't mess with them. Again.....I haven't ran across many reds down in that area either. Just one in the past two seasons. I know they get trapped pretty heavily and they have a helicopter man that is paid by a "club" that consists of quite a few of the local ranchers that pay a membership to have the guy fly their place every once in awhile.

Take care,

Rusty

I hunt a few real big ranches down there. The rancher will turn in your coyotes for you, (they are glad to get rid of them), but like Rusty said, they are pretty scarce. I killed a few down there last year, but mostly cats and Fox. Randy

This fella lives just north of Stiles across from the church there on 137. He is covered up in Reds. No yotes, few cats, few few greys, mainly reds everytime.

Everyone meeting for lunch or dinner and swappin' storys sounds like a great idea to me. Talked to the county agg agent for Reagan county today on my way to Eunice N.M. by way of Sonora TX, and he said there is a predator assoc. and bountys on predators, I left my name and number and a few cards at the Shots hoping a few land owners might call. It would be great to make enough loot to pay for all the gas I burn, the guns I buy, the ammo I load, and the calls I buy. Gonna put me in the poor house, definately the dog house.

Say Larry there is also a bounty in Irion county. Last I heard it was 50$ on cats and coyotes. 35 on Reds. You have to check the animals in, I know the wool house in Mertzon used to handle it. If you are serious about getting some country in that area, try running an ad in the Livestock Weekly magazine out of San Angelo, every landowner in the county reads it religously. Lots of cats and red fox but not many coyotes. And by the way for whomever it was that said that grey fox wouldn`t kill lambs youre kidding yourself. The two worst wrecks I have seen in the sheep business were grey fox. When they start killing they kill them all.

I'm the one that said they weren't a real problem and didn't mess with the sheep. Yes, there are exceptions, but they aren't considered a problem when you put them up against the cats and coyotes. I've seen big boar coons do a number on sheep, too....but not like the coyotes and cats consistently do. I think it's more of a "problem" coon or fox that does that sort of thing. I also believe (I'm already bracing for the back-lash) that virtually ALL coyotes and cats are "problem" animals when it comes to sheep ranching. I would assume that the greys aren't causing too many losses in Reagan Co. since I've talked to two different sheep ranchers that actually told me that they didn't want me shooting them. Whatever suits them! There is a gray behind every other cedar down there and the sheep guys would be out of business if they were that much of a threat. I've heard of problem greys....but I would say they are the exception. Eagles are a whole different matter....and I won't discuss how to "pursuade" them not to kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Take care,

Rusty

Back