Cedar City, Utah hunt

Nobody said the Cedar contest was a "calling" contest. It was billed a "hunting" contest. Supposedly Hurst puts on the contest for fun. As Tom said, it isn't up to them to determine who hunts legally and who doesn't. The rules do state that all coyotes must be taken legally, but they are not in a position to determine what is legal and what is not. I like to hunt for fun as much as the next guy, but I don't need to pay somebody else $40 to do it. If I want to compete in a coyote calling "contest", it will be the one Satch is associated with. Those guys understand coyote calling/hunting and can write, interpret and enforce the rules. These other outfits that just put on contests for the exposure and to move merchandise don't seem to care about the outcome or how it came about. If you want to hunt contests, get the rules ahead of time and read them thoroughly. If there are loop-holes in the rules you can count on somebody trying to slip through them. Tom was the one that brought up the family hunting accusation. I had never mentioned it. They know people cheat. The point is; you have to be aware of who's putting on the contest, what they have to gain and if you believe they are above board. To my knowledge Utah Predator Callers Association is run the best, but even that won't stop people from cheating. At least they have an interest and knowledge to make their contests enjoyable. If you are competing in a contest that costs alot to enter and has BIG prizes hopefully they make the winners pass a lie-detector test. How about this scenario; Bubba and Cletus get a call from their buddy that is at the check-in. So far the first place team has 4 coyotes. Bubba and Cletus also have 4 coyotes. Their buddy has one coyote and knows he isn't going to place. The buddy meets Bubba and Cletus at the edge of town and Bubba and Cletus give him what his entry fee for the contest was in exchange for the coyote. Now Bubba and Cletus win the contest and take home two new rifles. The buddy isn't out his entry fee and everybody gets screwed.

Quote:
They best coyote caller can't call coyotes in country were there are very little or no coyotes.
And the Worst coyote caller can call lots of coyotes in country were this is abunduce of coyotes.

I don't have a dog in fight but that statement is not entirely true. Just because you don't think are none there dosen't mean there isn't for one. And I have seen area were it it gets hammered by newbie callers and an experianced caller goes in and pulls one or two out.

The whole point here is that we all want these contests to be fair, whether we participate in them or not. When they are shown to be corupt it's a bad mark on the industry and hunters in general. Organizers of these contests have to learn to get thier rules air tight before the contest begins. Someday, somewhere, there maybe legal action taken upon organizers who tend to let things slide or teams that once it has been proven that they cheated. If hunters don't start policeing themselves, the public or the government will. Then we all lose.

Quote:
The whole point here is that we all want these contests to be fair, whether we participate in them or not. When they are shown to be corupt it's a bad mark on the industry and hunters in general. Organizers of these contests have to learn to get thier rules air tight before the contest begins. Someday, somewhere, there maybe legal action taken upon organizers who tend to let things slide or teams that once it has been proven that they cheated. If hunters don't start policeing themselves, the public or the government will. Then we all lose.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
WELL PUT

PLEASE DON'T READ INTO THE STATMENT OF
They best coyote caller can't call coyotes in country were there are very little or no coyotes.
And the Worst coyote caller can call lots of coyotes in country were this is abunduce of coyotes.

THIS JUST SIMPLY MEANS YOU HAVE TE BE WERE THE COYOTES ARE TO CALL THEM IN

WEASEL--
IF SOMEBODY POOLS COYOTES TO WIN AND AND ARE CAUGHT THEN THE GENERAL HUNTING PUBLIC SHOULD KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND THE FACTS THIS IS PURE BULL....
FAR AS I'M CARE THEY SHOULD BE GUT SHOT AND LET THE COYOTES DO THE REST.

I AGREE WITH YOUR POINTS OF IF SOMEBODY IS GOING TO GET INTO A CONTEST READ OR FIND OUT THE RULES BEFORE YOU PUT
YOUR MONEY IN.

ALSO ON THE LIE DETECTOR IS GREAT AND THE WORLD COYOTE CONTEST DOES THIS VERY WELL.
ANOTHER WAY IS THE HOST OF THE CONTEST CAN ASK THE TOP FEW PLACING TEAM A LIST OF QUESTION TO EEACH TEAM MEMBER SEPRATLY.
SOME EXAMPLES WOULD BE
WHO SHOT THE FIRST COYOTE? HOW FAR OF SHOT?
HOW MANY STANDS?
WHO SHOT THE MOST COYOTES?
WHO SHOT THE LAST COYOTE?
THIS IS NOT AS GREAT AS A LIE DETECTOR.
BUT MAY DETER SOME OF THE BAD GUYS FROM CHEATING OR EVEN ENTERING.

COYOTEMASTER

Man oh man!!! Just for the record, leave the boys at Hurst Sports out of it. They are simply a aponsor. Year one I helped orginize the contest with the sporting goods manager at the time. The second year and this last contest were put on COMPLETELY by myself. I used to manage the archery department there and since then have quit. The first year I was not there at check in or the winners from Milford would NOT have received the rifles. The two years that I have been in control of the contest there has been no evidence of cheating. I will say that the party hunting is eliminated by the jaw-lock system. each team was given a set of wooden square dowles, each of which the ends were diped in a certain color of paint (some with both ends diped). This created a set color codes-Each representing a number. You would place the corrisponding color-coded jaw-lock in the coyote. For example: you place jaw lock with red on one end-blank on the other in your first coyote and so on. If a team were to try to buy or receive another teams coyotes, they would have two coyotes with the jaw-lock dipped in red paint. Get the point? They would be taking in coyotes that they already had. If a team has one lock missing or out of order, they are out of the contest. Team hunting is NEAR impossible. As for the helicopter, a relitive does own one. He does fly for the government. Why would he put his licence and way of earning a living at stake for his nephews to win some rifles?? I'm sick of hearing any accusations on someone like that. Innocent till proven ohterwise. As for the implication of our contest being run in a way you dont approve give me a call. I'd love to hear some feedback and any ways to improve the system! Any questions or comments?? Call the person in charge of the contest, not the people sponsoring it. COLBY BATTY (435)590-3632. Lets leave it be as far as the winners this year....unless you know something i dont.

Could you expound a little more on the jaw-lock system? I'm having a hard time understanding how it works. No criticism here, just searching for knowledge.
cb

Charliebee-
Jawlocks work something like this in my contest-
this year it was a piece of pine square dowell. about 3/8" square and 5 inches long. each team recieved 15 jaw-locks, or dowells (some call them sticks). I painted one end, both ends, or no paint at all. each stick was then different in one, and only one way from all the rest of the 15-the color on the ends. In the contest we had red on one end and no paint on the other for the first coyote. blue and nothing was for the second and so on. It did get to the point where both ends were painted and each corresponded to a certian number in the order that you killed the coyotes. a guide telling each hunter what order to put them in was included with the jaw locks. they are placed in the rear of the coyotes mouth perpendicular to the jaw, so both ends are sticking out of the coyotes mouth. a rubber band (or you could use zip tie) was provided to keep the mouth shut. you place the stick, or jaw-lock, in the coyotes mouth immediately after killing it. once in, rigamortis sets in and the jaw of the coyote locks onto the dowell. if the jaw is spread open after the initail phase of rigimortis, the jaw becomes limber again and the jaw will not stay locked around the stick. rigimortis is a one time thing. at check-in the bands should be cut from the coyotes mouth to see if it is infact locked. sticks should be checked for the proper order. if a team has a coyote that jaw isnt locked or the sticks are out of order, cheating is assumed and they are disqualified. The systems keeps hunters from picking up road kills, taking coyotes from another team (the first jaw-lock would be there twice, maybe second or third as well), and keeps coyotes shot in a certain time frame. no one should know the color codes or what the jaw lock dimentions are before they get them at the contest. make sense??

Back