new member in tx.

Larry Timmons

Well I finally broke down and signed up. It's great to have a website to learn new tricks about predator callin'. I'm from Midland, TX. and I noticed there are a lot of guys from around here that like to call as much as I do. I would really like to get to know some of those guys, and swap storys and tips. I've been at this about two years, and I'm still learnin' the basics, especially the night huntin' gig. I usually hunt with my youngest son and he loves it as much as I do. Great to spend time with him doing something we both enjoy. Anyone feel free to reply, especially those Midland boys. Would like to say hi to Randy. I have enjoyed talkin' huntin' with him the few times I have bumped into him.

Howdy! I hope you have plenty of money and a very understanding wife cuz this is very addicting. However, it will not show up on a drug test:)

Lavoy, thanks for the reply, how's the huntin' in Eulogy,tx. Not sure where that's at. I always try not to spend to much boot on this addictive hobby of mine, it's tough to convince myself that I don't need just more call or a better gun. The girlfriend is understanding for the time being, hope she remains so. The hunting here is suppose to be fantastic, there are lots of yotes, but I have limited access to land around here. I hunt 11 sections around the Crane area, but I would love to more land to hunt, possibly something a little more open, I kill most of my yotes with the 12 gauge and I never get to make those long shots with the 22-250 I love so much. O well just don't have to drag em so far I guess. Good huntin'. LT.

Well Larry if you head east on 20 to Ft. Worth and go due south for about 60 miles you are in God's country. We not on the map anymore but we have lots of coyotes and bobs. I do day and night hunting when I am not pdogging which is all I have been doing since May. Been calling a couple of times but I like to wear out those pdogs while I can. I know if you are in touch with R. Watson you will be in good company. Good Luck. Odie

Welcome Larry! We can never have too many Midlanders on these boards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Feel free to let any of us know if you have any questions or if you need anything at all. This board has been priceless for me when it comes to learning more about predator calling.

Don't forget to keep us posted on how your predator hunts go.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty Holt

Thanks for the hospitality guys, I didn't realize there were so many varmint hunters around here. People generally look at me like I'm nuts when I tell 'em how much fun it is to call those critters in. Can't wait for it to cool off, got the ammo dialed in, the new scope mounted, and some new calls in the bag, Ye Haaaa.

Randy, no relation to those Timmons, have been asked that a lot. I think their father's name is Burl, and I know Randy works for Pioneer out in Los Colinas. My dad and little sister are still in Andrews where I grew up. I'll try and get by your shop one day to visit with you.

Randy, or anyone who might know, is there any truth to the rumor that there's a bounty on coyotes in the Big Lake area, and if so can anyone help me get my foot in the door for some animal control work. Need to pay for all this stuff I buy some how. L.T.

Larry dont quote me on this, but I know a fella that lives near Stiles and is in on that bounty.

He says that its headquarters is at the feed store in Big Lake (?). And you must put up $100 to enter and another $100 to start drawing money.

Once entered you must reside or own property in the county and harvest the said animals in the county.

Whole animals are required to get the money.

These numbers are two years old so they may have changed. They were paying out good money something like $65 for coyotes.

Tommy, thanks for the reply. I guess since I live in Midland there's no way I can get in on any of the boot. My neighbor is from Crane and I think his parents live in Big Lake and I've been after him to help me get in touch with some of the land owners down there, but so far I haven't had any luck. Please let me know if you here anything else about this. Thanks, L.T.

One thing I do know is that coyotes are few and far between down in that area. Between the foothold traps, snares and the bounty, a coyote has a hard time making a living. There are plenty of grey fox, but coyotes are slim. I think it's like that anywhere in good sheep country. They've been thinned out considerably to insure that the sheep ranchers stay in business.

Take care,

Rusty

If I remember right fox were @ $35 and cats were a little more than the yotes. Coons were $10. Mountain lions were @ $100. Yeah like anyone is gonna turn one of those in for $100.

Welcome aboard !!! We need to have a Eat an Meet sometime before the huntin kicks into high gear. What do you Midland boys think ???

Back