Question abought h&r rifle

rem222cal

hello everyone i have a question abought h&r handi rifle single shot with bull barrel chamberd in 223 cal.does any one shoot one of these if so are they a good rifle. thought abought getting one but wanted to find out a little more abought them thanks for any info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

there allright. i had one for about 2 years.. shot descent groups but always seemed to have a stray shooter out of 3 rounds... but you get what you pay for.. also, i couldnt shoot reloads thru mine.. they would jam in the chamber and wouldnt eject.. had it looked at a few times but it kept doing it.. i wont own another one.. too heavy to be lugging around hunting with and if you put any money in them theres not a gun shop in the country going to give you anything back for it.. i tried trading mine in before i sold it and he offered me 100 bucks for it.. it had been fluted and a trigger job done to it and i was leaving the weaver rings on it.. i sold it for 150.00. and was glad to get that out of it..

I own two of these rifles. One in 243 and the other in 223. Neither one in the heavy barrel. These little guns are very accurate without the heavy barrel and a lot lighter as well. I get inch groups at 100 yards with both my 243 and my 223 and that is with store bought ammo. If I reloaded I could get better groups than that. I dont think you can go wrong with the NEF brand. I love mine. For more detailed info on the NEF forearms go to www.graybeardoutdoors.com

Another brand to take a look at in that price range is the Stevens made by Savage. They are very accurate little guns for the money. With an after market trigger the Stevens from what I hear are tack drivers.

Good luck with your decision.

I bought one last year because someone told me I could never get it to shoot. I apparently didn't have anything better to do ... so I bought the .223 bb Handi and went to work. I was already reloading for my Savage 10FP .223 so I had almost everything I needed.

My best loads used 50gr Nosler BT, Varget, and CCI 400 primers. My best 3 shot group is .248" but I could never repeat that again. My best 5 shot group is .420". It consistently shoots 5 shot groups in the .600" to .700" range. Not too bad for a single shot $200 rifle. I have been told by my friends at GBO that this model is one of their better setups to start with.

I use this rifle for friends who go coyote hunting with me and do not own a coyote-type firearm. I did buy another .223 as it was traded in at my favorite gunshop and had what they call a limited run "Bumble Bee" stock on it. It all depends on what you are looking for. The Handi rifles have quite a following I have come to discover.

I love my NEF rifles. Of all the rifles I could shoot in my case. I grab the NEF's first. I have the H&R Ultra Varminter and it shoots alot better then I can shoot it.
Pic of the gun....
coyote2ahp0.jpg

Mine shoots pretty well, actually. But it's finicky. I have the Ultra 223 with a 24" bull barrel. The trigger is pretty stiff even after having the factory rework it. In order for it to shoot well I have to rest the reciever on the front rest and pull the trigger meticulously the same way with a complete follow thru, otherwise it throws shots an inch away from the group. I hate the trigger. With the reciever on the front rest like that it feels unbalanced on the bench and it makes the muzzle jump more than it should so I loose my sight picture. These issues are universal for all NEFs as far as I understand. I usually just shoot 3-shot groups because it's so easy to throw a shot off. Of course I've never had to take 5 shots to kills a squirrel, but you know what I mean.

However, I get regular 3-shot groups in the .5's with cheap Ultramax Speeer 52gr HP ammo. Also with Ultramax 40gr NBT and Black Hills reman 40 NBT. Since I started reloading I've had the darndest time finding a good reload for this rifle using light varmint bullets. Lots of stuff shoots about 1-1.25" 5-shot groups at 100 yards including SMKs and Vmaxes and NBTs but the only load I've found so far that really stays under .75" for 5 shots is the Speer 52gr HP varmint bullet (not the 52 match HP). That's not really the bullet I want to use for varmints but it works ok.

I never shoot this rifle anymore now that I have a Savage 12FV 223 but the NEF is always there as a backup or a loaner rifle. I've killed lots of squirrels with it and a few coyotes too. It's just too finicky on the bench for my tastes. It's not a varmint rifle, but it'd make an ok deer rifle easily.

Having said that I'd never buy one or buy another barrel to swap out. It's too much of a pain to make sure it gets put back together perfectly so that it shoots good again. I won this one in a raffle. It started out as a 22 Hornet but I swapped out the stock and sent the reciever in to the factory to have a 223 barrel fitted. It took 9 weeks to get it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Also dont forget to look at the rossi or braztech single shots also. I bought the rossi .243 and wo gauge combo. you can find them most places for around $170.00 with two barrels. Mine shoots fantastic groups with the .243 barrel. They have several combinations including the .223. They also have a barrel program where you can send in your receiver and get it fitted with any other caliber barrel the make.

I have a NEF .270 and a H&R 22-250 and they both shoot very well.

The .270 is a bit finnicky like people are saying but the one store bought it is likeing are the corelocks, getting 1" groups with that which is more than good for a whitetail rifle.

The 22-250 is the ultra varmint fluted with the choate stock and i love it, not very finicky at all will shoot anything i put in it best group so far are some vmaxs and those are right around .685".

One thing about the choate (pistol grip) is that its hard (for me) to switch back and forth between the choate and regular rifles, so i guess some of my other guns will be getting choates at sometime or another.

SON

I was looking at one, but it seems that the "finiky" part kept coming up. people also said that it needed"tweeking" out ofthe box. Now this was for all calibers. I have decided to go with a Remington 700 lss or SPS. I just do not want a gun that i have to work on out of the box.

I've got the 22 inch bull barrel, in 223. It shoots great with both factory and handloaded ammunition.

It is heavy...so is my AR-15.

S4010018.jpg

My dad has one in 243 with the heavy barrel and its a pretty good shooter. Had some ejection problems and the barrel would pop open after shooting when new but i sent it back. They rebarreled it and thus far no more problems.

ONe of the things that i learned with my NEF was that they really pack the break action with shipping grease and it need a thorugh cleaning before it will stay latched properly. Also it need to be a little worked in so just open and close it a few dozen times.

Another thing is that some of the NEFs/H&R have different ejectors, that is some have ejectors that will fling the shell 15 ft behind you, and others merely have an extractor that pulls the shell out of the chamber ala skeet/trap shotguns. So before you return it to the company determine whether you have a extractor or an ejector.

Check the FAQ's at greybeardoutdoors.com for the info to check that.

h&R ultra varminter 22-250

Picture.jpg

hello..the nef's are fine i own two...these are hunting rifle's...not benchrest gun's...to my body frame i never feel as comfortable over the bag's as a longer bolt gun..."however" they have a "short" throw & feel good to swing to the shoulder...i have shot pretty decent group's to so-so group's...i think it depend's on how much time & effort a person want's to invest to make these shoot tight group's...again i consider them a "hunting" rifle & tight group's are fun !! but not really needed for coyote type hunting...just my thought's

Back