Coated my lights with Red Layout fluid

Woodrow

As brought up in other threads, I got some of the Red Dykem and put it on my lights this weekend. I am looking forward to testing them in the field. I did a real brief test at a nearby park, but it was brief b/c red lights in suburbia might not look good! Anyway, it seemed about the same as my red lense. How many guys have done this to their lights? Do you feel it is brighter than using a lense?

sbe12g did a great job of pointing me in the right direction in getting some and it was easy to apply as well. Thanks to him. Makes the spotlights looks really cool too.

I got it at a place in Houston called Graingers. There are several of them in Houston. You can go to their website and get store locations or just order it online. I got the aerosol version.

Wishbone, I only used one coat b/c I wanted the most light I could get. The beam of the light is plenty red in my opinion. I just sprayed it on till there was one good coat.

Should be able to pick the dykem up at any place that deals in industrial supplies/machinist tools.
I have never used the red but have used the blue and prussian blue for bearings and contact checks.

Does everyone over in the US use the Red Light filters or does it just seem that way? I have one and really only use it when im closer into civilisation because people dont seem to come looking for the person shining the light as they do with the white light. Other then that i have not had a huge amount of trouble with foxes turning and running because of the white light. I have a bit of film footage of the foxes running head long into the light like it wasnt even there.

eddiv!! not all of use red lens!!!!! some use step down and another switch!!!! take a 12 v bulb and light it with 6v or less or more ! depends on the moon!!! hold it right on the eyes untill the kill!!! burn it with the kill light and pull the trigger!!!!! some of us don't use red!!!! grandpa fudge

eddive! fox are a different breed than the cats or yotes we hunt over here!!!! the fox i've taken here will come to a light with less work than yotes or cats!!! i have yotes and cats spook if i have had too much or too little light on some nights!!!! not so much with fox!!!!

Woodrow I suggest you put at least two coats of the Dykem, or one thick coat with it facing lens up.

That will help with the scratches and give it a little protection. Im suprised that you havent noticed the difference in redness.

A store bought snap on lens looks red and to the untrained eye it shines red, but next time your out put your dykem light up next to a snap on lens and you'll see the dramatic difference.

It almost makes your redlens look a whitish-orange.

Just my $.02, good luck.

Tommy,
I have not gotten to really test it. All I did was shine it across a soccer field here in town for maybe 5 seconds. Not a real test. As far as the coats, I will play that by ear. I am pretty stubborn, so I think I will see if the one good coat I put on will do. No offense, I do appreciate the info though.

This weekend is the big test!!!! I can't sit still!!!!!

No offense taken my good man. I've had mine for 2 years now and I have managed to scratch it a little. It takes a few hours of use to level out and really cure. After that itll look like glass.

One good coat will do the job.

Take care.

What happens if you need to pop the lens off to look for dead, or positively identify a far away critter. Why don't ya'll just use the red lens???...seems to work fine. Randy

Good points Randy. But I don't plan on taking any far shots at night. If I were to shoot a deer, then I would be strung up and shot! And one of the places I wouldn't shoot a bobcat b/c it is policy to have one mounted if shot. So if I can't ID it, I won't shoot. But I also have another spotlight that will be handy, just in case! As for looking for game, I have plenty of white light for that in the truck.......

Who knows, I might regret it? This is my first time to try it.

So if you don't like the red can you use paint thinner to remove it or is it on for good? How far out and can you see clearly? White lights out here in CO make people come out of the woodwork to come see what your looking at.

dykem remover will do it pretty effortlessly. I may have to use the dykem red myself because I can't get a red lens to fit mine.

I appreciate it sbe12g, I will post the results no doubt.......hopefully it'll be a good report /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dykem remover and liquor thinner are the same thing only you will pay twice as much for the Dykem remover. You can pick up a quart of liquor thinner at Walmart pretty cheap! I buy it by the 5gal. can just to clean stuff up with around the shop. Any car paint dealer has it on hand!

Back