Would this be a problem?

Woodrow

I plan on doing some night calling in a few weeks. I have a light that goes on my scope, but the battery won't last the night. So I was planning on using my reg. spotlight till I spotted one and immediately switching to the scope mounted light. Both have red lenses.

Will the switch spook em? I know I would have to be quick........but what is my best bet?

Just be sure to turn the shooting light on before you turn the other one off. Make sure you're on the animal before you turn the other one off. Randy

Turn the scope light on, get him in that light(and in your scope)...then kill the other light, then kill him. Some times if you take the light off of them completely, they will spook, not always, but there is a good chance they will, just don't let that happen. Why don't you just shoot him using the regular spotlight??

It depends on how I am situated. If I am in the bed of my truck, depending on where the shot is, I might not have a rest (or a good one anyway). If that were the case, then it would be a lot easier to not have to hold the spotlight and shoot. If I have a good rest (whether in my truck, on the ground, or in a deer blind).....then you are right, it would probably be a better idea to just use the reg. spotlight. Of course, if I have someone with me (might?), then there is no issue.

I just figured if it wasn't going to jeopardise too much it would be easier to use the scope light.............sounds like it is risky. I will probably try both and see what works best. If I can easily just use the reg. spotlight I will. I sure appreciate the info.

I wonder if I could tape a dowel rod to my spotlight and use it as a shooting stick and spotter? Cause I will probably be standing in the back of my truck..........

Woodrow sounds like you've come full circle?

That may not be a bad idea of making a shooting stick that would hold a spotlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Course take into consideration the angle if the light.

Or get a couple more scopelite batters for the full night.

Have fun and good hunt'n.

Woodrow - I agree with SavTx. Get an extra battery or two and you won't have to do the shuffle with the lights. For about $12 or $15 you don't have to change lights when the heat is on. You change batteries at your convenience.

I have a pretty high pucker factor when about to shoot and seem to always forget what I am supposed to do (or I drop something) when a critter is lined up in the sights / scope - so I keep things as simple as possible so I don't screw it up..... But thats just me.......

sbe12g, I got a rechargable 6 volt for my scope light (says it'll go for 15-24 hours...we'll see), and a car battery and charger for my Brinkman spotlight.

The Dykem goes on this weekend.......

sbe12g,

I got the battery at Bass Pro for like $15......don't remember the brand. It is 4.5 ah........I only need 4-5 hours out of it, so anything over would just be bonus.....if it lasts as long as it says......sweet.

Back