.308 ... 168gr Sierra HPBT ... and Varget

bigjeepman

I am interested in knowing of any successes/failures from handloaders who have used Varget in their .308 rifles shooting the Sierra 168gr HPBT. I am trying to tune in my brothers Savage 10FPLE2A with a 26" barrel. I am also using CCI BR2 primers. We have a load of 44.0gr grouping consistently around the .500" area. I know it will do better and I am thinking less (powder) might be better. I am not trying to find any shortcuts to my normal load development process but would like to hear about your experiences.

Any comments/advice will be appreciated. Oh .... Happy New Year!

43.3 of RL-15 shoots the 168 SMK great from my rifle but with colder weather I have to raise my load to 43.5. I've also had good luck with 42.0 H4895. All with neck turned Lapua Brass, .002" Neck Tension and F210M primers.

I've had good results with Varget in my 10FLP but the IMR 4064 seems to do a little better with 168s, 175,s and 178s. I have had better luck with Federal GM210M primers than the CCIs. 2.785 COAL with the 168s in mine.

When you get groups pretty close like that, experiment with seating depths and you might also try another primer (not both changes at once).

As far as the primer choice for Fed GM210M goes, that was actually a mistake I caused. I thought I was out of the Fed, so I went and primed about 40 rounds with the CCI BR's. I am switching back to the Fed primers as soon as I get through these. Thank you for bring the primer issue up as I am sure it will make a difference.

I have heard RE 15 was very good for this caliber/bullet. I will try it after the Varget if groups do not shrink more. I should have also mentioned my OAL is 2.800".

44.5gr of varget, 168gr pill, fed210M primer,....and seat the pill out closer to the lands. I havn't tried the 2.800" oal because I am shooting well only .005" off the lands,....it simply requires a tad more powder and you have the same result with no jump.

I am shooting a Rem 700 VS in .308win with 26" bbl. I get really good results with the 168gr JHP and 42.5 gr Varget. No signs of pressure and very good groups just a tad over 2600fps.Just a note Federal match with that bullet in about 2600fps and that is just a tad faster than the rounds the military is feeding the m24 system. Faster is not always better and the military normally has pretty good reasons for those decisions the current long range round in a 175gr bullet but those 168 are still plenty good ...Good shooting, Steve in Arizona

Quote:
0.5 inch groups consistently out of a Savage factory rifle, what is your end goal?

That is very good for any factory rifle.

Oh how many thousands of hours and $$$$ we spend trying to eek out that last .2 inches!

FWIW, mine will do .3 @ 100 and .5-.6 at 200 most of the time. It is a Savage but it is several hundred dollars from 'factory' LOL.

I think you'll like 43.6 grains of IMR 4895 in win brass better...

but if you're set on the Varget, the low node is right around 43.8 grains, and the high node is going to be at max, 46 grains.

Use CCI 200's or BR-2's with the Varget. I like Fed 210's with IMR 4895.

All suggestions assume Winchester brass.

Dan

Winchester brass is what I am using guys. Sorry for the info in bits and pieces. I just found a 4 oz container of H4895 ... remember those little containers that I thought were a "good" idea? I just found the only one I have left and I will try it too. I am not really set on Varget ... though I am a big fan .... my .223 loads are outstanding in my Savage 10FP when shooting 55gr Vmax bullets and Noslers.

dogtired ... end goal is .750" @ 200 yds for my brother's Savage. It is 100% factory. My 10FP has a new stock and that is all and I reached the same goal with it with 55gr Vmax and 55gr Nosler BT. It might sound impossible to some but I have a friend/gunshop owner who does the measuring of our groups.

kelbro said it perfectly .... hours and dollars ...

I thank each and everyone of you ... it has been a tremendous help. I must stress I judge by consistent groups and not one good one here and there.

Winchester Brass
CCI BR2
Varget 44.5 gr.
Sierra 168 HPBT
OAL 2.800

Produced this 3 shot group out of Remington LTR @ 100 yards:

P7300058.jpg

My "money" bench load in .308 is:

43gr. Varget;
Lapua brass;
Federal 210M primers;
168gr. SMK;
OAL=2.800"

The rifle is a Savage 10FP-LE1 (20" barrel). It shoots (when I do my part) just above 1/2 MOA from 100-300yds. I mounted an IOR 35mm 6x24 50mm scope with one piece picatinny base and upgraded the stock to a Bell & Carlson Medalist Tactical.

At first I was using Winchester brass and was getting just a touch under MOA. Switched to Lapua and the groups tightened to where they are now.

I have never liked Varget in .223 or .308 loads. Could never get the velocity everyone claims in my area. For .308 match loads my rifle perfers IMR 4064. Below are some samples of load work up using 4895 and 4064. I always shot 4895 in my M1A's but showed signs of hot load in my boltgun before getting good vel. 4064 gives me higher vel and better accuracy in my rifle than the others.

These are 5-shot groups at 100. 1st on LF is 4895, less than 2700 fps. Next two are 4064 at nearly 2800 fps.

These are loaded in once fired WW brass, Fed 210M primers, nothing done to the case except load and fire. Have never preped a case in my life.

MVC-005S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the information. I have been given some direction by those who obviously are more knowledgeable than I. I know quite a few (probably the majority) of you have better shooting techniques and are much better shooters than myself. I know some have customized rifles and I think all of that is fine. Even though my rifles have only been tweaked a little by a gunsmith, I enjoy the total challenge shooting small groups as much as anyone. I think there is something here for all to enjoy no matter what level your skills, techniques, and firearms are on.

I really appreciate how members here do their best to assist those in "need."

Mussman.223 ... the twist rate for the .308 Savage is 1:10.

I have loads to test with Varget starting at 42.5gr and loads with H4895 starting at 43.0 gr. AOL is set at 2.800" and I still had cases primed with the CCI BR2 primers. I will switch to the Fed 210M primers for the next tests rounds.

SteveM ... you say you have never prepped a case in your life? Could you please explain?

I'll keep you up to date guys. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back