Finally a coyote in the dark!!!!!

gary saurage

I got a call from a land owner that owns a crop dusting service. He told me that he was having some problems with coyotes hanging around his runway. On sunday I showed up at this mans house at 4:45 am. As I drove up I saw a very elderly man standing in the drive way with an oxygen bottle attached to him. As I got out of the truck the old man introduced himself to me and invited me in for a cup of coffee. The old man told me of the problems that he had been having with coyotes and asked me if he could do the shooting because he wanted to get even with coyotes for killing his two cats. After telling me that he could not walk very far I made the decision to just call for the old man out of the back of the truck. I gave the old man a quick course on an ar-15 him in the back of the truck. I drove down the runway until I could see the tree line and stopped. I got my caller and light and climbed into the back of the truck. I thought to my self there is no way a coyote is going to run out here with me parked in the open after we have made so much noise. Anyway I was there so I gave it my best effort. I turned the js prey master on ( adult rabbitt distress) and it was not finished with the first cycle when I saw eyes go under the gate at the end of the runway. I leaned over and asked the old man if he saw it, he said no. I just kept the light on the coyote as he was running in to the call. As the dog got within 80 yards he stopped and sat down, I leeaned over to tell the old man that he had better shot now when the bushmaster sounded off. Above the sound of the carbine I could here that familiar thump and I knew the old man hit his target. Then in the silence you could here a yelp and suddenly the old man beggan smacking me on the back, hooping and shacking his fist in the air saying I finnally got one of you ba$%$%#@. Any way what I thought was going to be a flop hunt turned into a good thing all around. The old man has called me three times since sunday ready to do it again. It gave me a good feeling last sunday so I think I'll just take him again.

Hey Gary,

What a great story. I applaud your decision to let him shoot. That was really special for him. What a hoot!! You made his day, if not his month!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

I can't keep from smiling when I read that story. That's what I love about this sport....seeing other people get as excited as I do!! Keep up the good work!

Rusty

Outstanding story!Always feels good to help someone out,especially when it involves removing some unwanted critters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great deed indeed! Take him again. This time take a video camera and get it on film. I'll buy it. "Oxygen canister coyote killer" ahh..you can probably think of something better to call it. Take him again soon while he can still pull the trigger.

Hey Pelt Trasher... you need to show a little more respect, you trash a lot more than pelts around this board . I won't have you coming to the night forum and trying to stir things up. Randy Watson

I definetly meant no disrespect to Gary or the old man. Just the opposite. I've got a neighbor on added Oxygen 60/30/10 thats not good. But he has a sense of humor too and calls it his "go-go juice". It seemed like Gary might be a little put out to take this guy hunting. So I figured if he could get this guy thumping a coyote on film it might make it more enjoyable for the both of them. Im serious when I say "I'll buy the video".
I think everybody would love to see the story told above. Next time maybe.

Randy,

Thanks for watching the boards the way you do. I really felt no disrespect with peltthrashers comments. I did take mr. Kelly again on monday, the results are on the next post.

After reading this story I had to register and post a reply...
Gary,
Excellent story! It's always great to hear about a first-timer's coyote-callin' experience! Way to go! Good for him too!! Hope he's stuck on the sport.

Back