hot new highchair

purdygood

high chair for night hunting is finished,except for paint. well I purchased a folding boat seat (camo) and built arm rests and a shooting rest and sturdy swiveling base.This configuration should be much more comfortable than the last setup I had. Much needed improvments were incorperated into the design.

I will post pictures as soon a I get some batteris for my camera.

I can't wait till September! 69 DAYS AND COUNTING!

Yeah Tommy I may have to put a Simpson 5 point safety harness and a Hans device to keep from falling out of it it is so comfortable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ok fellas here they are the pics of the new highchair.
fbd4a0d0.jpg

another view
fbd49d54.jpg

If you are wondering about the red tape.........I ran out of black tape. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yotecaller,

I had most of the metal to put it together so about all I spent was
$34.99 folding chair(bass boat)
$19.99 swivel
$10.00 1" square tubing
$4.00 1" pipe insulation
$2.00 1 roll electic tape

3 hours start to finish putting it together.
It still needs some tweaking but I have till Sept to get it the way I want it.I may just add something on the right side to hold another gun(shotgun)and an e-caller.I don't want to get it too heavy to put it up and take it down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jeb,

The base is a piece of 3/16" plate cut out to fit between the wheel wells and between the seat backs and the rear door under the carpet and bolted in place thru the floor.
Then the pedestal is a piece of 4 1/2" pipe welded to the 3/16" plate.with a flange(channel iron) welded to the top of it.I ran my power wires from the battery and along the frame and came up thru the floor.(yellow and red wires taped to the pipe)
fbcebf1b.jpg

Another flange welded to the piece of pipe the foot rest slips down into and secured with a set screw.(to keep it from rattling)The two flanges are bolted together incase I need to remove it someday.
fbcebcd2.jpg

The foot rest is a piece of pipe that fits into the top flange pipe.About 6" from the top I cut it and put a BIG washer inside to keep the seat shaft from wabbling around and put a bolt thru the pipe to stop the shaft at the proper height.At the very top I welded a 2" o.d. cut ball to stablize the upper portion of the seat shaft.Also installed is a set screw( which you can't see in the pic because it is directly behind the pipe) to adjust against the shaft to keep it from rotating freely.I put the cables and small turnbuckles to take any play out of it and make it more ridgid.
fbcec213.jpg

edited for a minor important detail I forgot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i have never hunted out of a chair like that!! could you describe a hunt from start to finish!!! do you hunt with one or two people???? do you hand call or use elect...??? can you sit in the chair and drive the roads and call or do you make stands only??? is there ladders to get on top of the truck?? do you only use red lens??? how high are you in the chair??? thanks grandpa fudge

Grampa Fudge,

Up to this point I have just made stands with my rig.But with this newer version(stonger more ridgid) who knows It may be mobile now.

In the past I have mostly hunted alone ,but when there are two of us we take turns in the chair.One of us will stand on the ground and cover 180* at the rear of the vehicle.

I drive to a place that looks good park as level as I canputting the rear of the vechile into the wind,then get out get in the chair.Once in the chair and ready I turn my red light on and make a 360 sweep looking for eyes.If I don't see any then I begin to call mostly with hand calls(it's easier as I only have a home-made e-caller that is difficult to operate while holding my gun and I don't like to just turn it on and let it play).

As I am calling I rotate one turn maybe two in one direction and then reverse it so the light cord doesn't wind up around the pedestal.Once I see eyes I halo them and continue to call ,hoping they will come on in.

My butt when setting in the chair is about 9 ft above the ground.I have thought about building a ladder of sorts to get up there but haven't yet.I just climb up on a rack(platform) at the bumper and use the spare tire as a step. I think this is a much better version than my last one.
fd01d5ee.jpg

fcf83f23.jpg

That's about it.

thanks !!! it looks like you will have a lot of fun with that rig!!! when you get over the top of the brush it makes all the difference in the world!!! i have a cabover camper that i had built on my toyota 4x4 that has a 4ftx4ft hatch !! there is a bench across .. the lighter stands and the shooter sits with sand bags or bipod!!! all of the controls are on my light!!! dim light.. bright lite.. on..off for tape player.. vol..control... and a buzzer for the driver/ shooter to stop truck and crawl thru boot and get ready!!! the dim lite is just like halo but you don't worry about hitting them with bright till your ready to shoot!!! there is nothing like hunting from a rig!!! you will put the hurt on many animals with yours!!! lets us know how many you get!!! good hunting!! grandpa fudge

I like that chair. I just posted a link in "Other calling equipment and critter techniques" about how I should modify my 1973 CJ5 Jeep. Can I get some help over there? Thank you

Back