20 gr V

Hi Bob,
yes i have done a littlebit of testing on Coyotes with the 20g v max in my .17 Remington here in california i have shot 2 Coyotes with this bullet one at about 150 yds with a perfect chest shot that didn't go done quickly. Second was a lung shot about 60 yards and he also didn't go down quickly. but i will say this the bullet is very acurate i shot 3 shot group in .3s .May be i need to slow this bullet down to about 4000fps to get better results. What i would realy like to see is Hornady manafacture 30gr vmax for the seventeen.
Saul.

Saul
The 20 grainer is a good accuracy bullet for smaller critters but it is a very explosive design. I dont think you will get the penetration you want from it any any speed. It comes apart too quick.

Try a Berger, 25 grainer, or a Calhoon, or a Kindler gold in the 30 grain weight if you have a 1/9 twist rifle.

.....or you could use the only suitable bullet for 17s....a Hornady 25 grain hp, easy to find, reasonably priced, and they just flat work on predators.

I have used the 20 vmax on fox with great success.Shot many broadside at less than 20. Very few came out , in fact most did not bleed externally.As for coyotes the 25 Hornady works great for me.Full on chest shot on 41 pound male. No exit , but under skin at rear hip.Definite internal destruction.125 yards.17 Rem has been my furtaking gun of choice for at least 10 years now.22 Hornet was close 2nd , but lacked downrange punch. Also passed thru more often.Nighttime is 12 gauge with 28 in. barrel and hevi-shot choke. Good out to 70 yards or so when using hevi-shot.gotta love that stuff

I've seen a LOT of coyotes run off , using a light bullet. Although I've killed thousands with a .22, I grew up and figured out, why not use a bullet that will anchor them. I shoot a 55 gr ballistics tip(.223). They Die. Very little to no damage to the skin.

K9Addict, what shell you using? I have been thinking of going to heavy shot myself. Currently I use 1 7/8oz of BB in 3 inch mag. By law I cannot use buckshot or rifles at night.
Skinner2

Back