looking for a yote dog...

yotehunter74

ok guys you have probably heard this many times... but here goes... I know nothing about training my own dog... so I am interested in finding an already trained dog for yote hunting... I would like to have breed pref. and prices if possible .. remember I am looking for an already trained dog... I honestly dont have the time or knowledge to train one myself... any help would be great... Thanks... Steve

hey steve
first thing is you need a tracking collar and tracker for your hounds before you get a hound!!
I would say you should be able to find a decent hound in the $500 range
There are a few houndsmen on my site from up your way!!
I would think a few of them could help you get set up!!
I would start with a hound that is deer broke. you really need at least 2 if your going to run yotes!!
any more questions just ask away!!

Vargy

I agree we need to know the type of hunting you will be doing. will you be using it for decoy/ tolling or are you wanting to sight chase coyotes or track em down?

sight chasing here is almost imposible.. if i could see them on a reg. basis i wouldnt need a dog just a good rifle lol j/k I would like to have a dog than can track them... a few guys around here have them and just turn them loose on a track and follow... but they refuse to help out anyone because as long as they are the only ones who have the dogs they are the only ones winning the hunts... and our big hunt here pays out over 5000. to the largest yote brought in... and naturally the law of numbers puts the winning odds in the favor of a guy who can take 5 or 6 yotes as opposed to the guys calling who may get one or two.

Where are you from, 74. Im from up in Erie co. I dont have any dogs for sale rite now but you could come up and run with us sometime if you like.

cutch, I would love to... give me a run down... do I need to be able to run a mile in like 3 min or what? lol whole new world for me so when you have a min let me know what i'm in for but would really enjoy that... will you be entering the mosquito creek hunt next month?

If you can run like that you'll be the only one of us that can. lol. You can stay on the road or take a walk, its up to you and the chances are good either way of getting a look at the coyote. prolly a bit better if you get in the woods. The blocks here are not near as big as you are used to,and the ground is pretty flat. We will be in the Mosquito creek hunt for sure. We were a few 10ths short of any money last year but have been paid 3 of the last 4 years.
We run every weekend, we have not done as well this year, as normal, with no snow but we have come up with a system that seems to work well.
Where are you from?

i am in southern clearfield county... let me know if there is ever a better time than another... i would love to come up and hunt...

Sure do, nice country there. Used to drive tru there all the time going to Harrisburg. Not really a better time than another. Like I said we hunt every weekend. I guess if we got some snow it would be better but we still hunt em. if we have snow, we cut a track and dump, otherwise we howl before daylite and dump if we can locate them.
You can come up on a Friday and stay or whatever works for ya.

that sounds good... really looking forward to it... lets keep in touch would love it if there was some snow... as i'm sure the dogs prob would also... lol

IMHO, you are misssing out on a lot, by not raising and training the dog yourself. It's just not as satisfying an experience. The main ingredient in training/raising a dog for any type of track hunting, is TIME to spend training with the dog, and of course, PATIENCE. (buying a pup from proven stock is obviously the MOST important ingredient)

While I have never been around dogs who track coyote, I see many of them are Walker's. I have spent considerable time hunting with father's coon dogs though. It's basically the same deal in any track dog training...Teach the dog to strike and trail ONLY the desired species your going to hunt. This is often times easier said than done however. That's where the patience comes in. There will be times when they want to run off and trail Porupines, coon, fox, and even deer. A lot of positive reinforcement and a shock collar will help to break them of those habits.

Now a decoy dog and exactly how they operate...that's a bit obscure to me.

Training a pup to run coyotes in PA without an experienced hound or access to a pen would be next to impossible. The only time you could be sure of what it was chasing is during the winter when you can identify tracks, and then you cant be sure of good scent conditions. I can count on 1 hand the number of coyotes I've seen without the dogs , so spotting one and dropping the pup would be futile. So assuming the pup is of age during the winter you have maybe 4 months to train him and then he sets in the kennel all summer and you try again the next year, maybe 4 more months of training and another 8 in the kennel. Now you have a 3 year old dog that still hasnt learned to run what you want and isnt likely to any time soon. I'm not saying it hasnt been or couldnt be done, but unless you have hit the powerball and dont have to work and have no other responsibilities,, buy a started dog.

It seems you would know best, Cutch. I don't recall saying it would be an easy task. An experienced hound would certainly be the ticket as far as schooling a younger pup. The only problem I see with that, is obtaining one. I'm sure it's quite uncommon for someone to want to sell an experienced dog that runs yotes, unless it was an extreme circumstance, or a hard headed dog that was also apt to run other game.

If I had to train a pup myself, I would build a pen to accomomdate a "training" yote that I had trapped. Much like letting a coon dog tangle with a coon in the rolling cage, I suppose. Heck, I'm not even sure if it's legal to keep a live yote for training purposes.
I think i'd like to try and take an American Pitbull Terrier bred from some good hog catching stock, and train it to be a decoy dog. It would be kind of fun to watch it lure the yote close enough to grab and crush. *evil grin*

Started dogs are not really that hard to come by, and can be bought for a reasonable cost. Vargy, on this site, would be a good place to start. Most good hound men wouldnt sell a junk dog, they will usually tell you if the dog has some concerns. They are proud of their dogs and most of us,after buying dogs,food, vet bills,etc. dont have much but their word. lol.
As for buiding your own pen, it is illegal here without permits from the Game Co.(not cheap) and then it cant legally be stocked with wild game. I hope I didnt ruffle your feathers, it wasnt my intent.if I did I appologise.
Cutch

Not at all Cutch...You have much more knowledge on the subject than I do. Not ruffled a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't think I'd go that route anyways. I'm be more likely to train a decoy dog or have a good "kill dog" to follow some experienced fellow's hounds, and finish the game once the yote was ready to turn and fight for his freedom.

the problem with a dog trained to kill is that there are no laws allowing a domestic dog to catch, capture, maim or kill a wild animal... so back to square one... its easier for me because of the points above.. to buy an experienced dog and go from there... now the BIG job is talking the wife into it lol

It's not "trained" to kill...Killing or fighting other animals is an bred for, inherited gene in some breeds of dog.(Am Pitbull Terriers for example) It doesn't state in the PGC booklet that the dogs can only track and bay coyotes...It just says that hunting them with dogs is legal. I'd have to imagine that legality would also include mortal combat. My father's coon hounds often get a coon off the side of a tree and tangle with or kill it before he gets there...or even after he shoots one down. I don't really see what the difference would be, as long as it's combat with ONLY the legal species for which you are hunting....just my 02 cents worth.

Just tell your wife about all the money your gonna make off of these fine hounds you must have.
And if it works, record it, you could sell that argument for way more than the price of 10 dogs. LOL

Back