Spotlighting in Nevada

According to the regulations, all countys are legal to light. But...... You better call where ever you are planning to hunt and check with the local warden and Local law enforcement. i know for sure it's legal in Clark county and up by tonopah( Der!! not sure what county that is).

Crap shoot, NDOW here in elko told me that they havent got any problem with night hunting for predators with a light powerd by anything but a wet cell battery.They also told me that some counties have ordinances agenst fire arms discharge at night.
Do you know witch ones? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is nothing posted on this subject anywhere. You just have to call to find out. Think about the light thing. Any light except one powered by a wet cell. Well, anything you plug into your truck is powered by a 12 volt lead acid (wet) cell battery, Most rechargable spotlights use a lead acid (wet) battery. So, that pretty much leaves you using a flashlight. Rules like that suck. The only place it says anything about night hunting is in the hunt regs under Mt. Lion. You can only use a hand held light powered by a dry cell battery (C-D cell or something of the sort).

I have hunted Nevada a few times in my life and most of that was at night. We have been told many things by the locals and the Fish and Game people. We have never got the same story twice, I don't think they know? In all the years I've been hunting there, I've never got in any trouble lighting and I've hunted almost every inch of the state, Good Hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well thanks for setting me straight Danny. It is not the locals who make the rules and it doesn't matter what storys match. When it comes down to it, it's up to who ever makes the laws in the area you are in. The fish and game may say it's ok, but the sherrif may have something else to say. Best to check all options, get names and time of the officials you have talked to. Here is a link to the Nevada Divison Of Wildlife web site. Look through the rules your self. As far as coyotes go, there are no rules, unless local law says something else. http://ndow.org/hunt/

crapshoot, I don't want you to get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to set anybody stright, I'm just giving my thoughts and expereince on hunting in Nevada at night. What you said is true, the locals don't make the rules the law does. I have called the Nevada Fish and Game in Reno a few times and was told you can't hunt at night in some northern counties, others told me it was ok. I have not called for a couple years so maybe things have changed. Thanks for the internet addy, I'll check it out. By the way, I was in Henderson a couple months ago on my way to Arizona, is it getting hot there yet? Good Hunting.

one night up toward caliente, we made a stand and a car around a curve took off like a race car!!! we headed back down the road and the red lights came on!!! nhp.. walked up and ask if we made a stand down the road?? he told us that guy was taking a leek and a truck load of guys were killing a woman and she was screaming her head off!!!! he started laughing!!! and said he thought it was hunters.. no problem with us night hunting

Crapshoot I had herd that ther is only two counties that spotlighting and shooting predators was legal but knowbody seems to know witch ones for sure. The light I use is a 12 volt dry cell that can be charged by pluging it into a vehicle so its not actually powerd by the vehicles wet cell battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Grandpa-Fudge, Do you know of the California State Varmint Callers Asso? If so....were you ever a member? What ever the case, Good Hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yes danny-b i was in the orange co. chapter for a while and had a great time with all of the guys there!!! we had fun shoots and some hunts !!! the campouts with the familys was the most fun!!! it was hard to compete with bob s. and some of the other guys !! they had more money and balls than me or my pard had so we went on our own and hunted at a slow pace !!! how about you???? are you still hammering for the 48hr hunts???? i am too old for that s!!! but i still like to get out and have a good time!!wish i lived where i could hit it every night but with the travel time from la it's a long ride!! maybe some night if you need some one to hold the light you might let me know!!

Grandpa Fudge, no I'm not going this year, I use to go all the time when we had the state calling championships there. Yes, I knew old Bob S. he learned where to go from me LOL..... The secert places in Arizona, Sanora and Baja, I know em real good and yes I used to have gonads too LOL. Jim T. who moved to Utah was the guy to beat in that chapter. Jim held the record for the most animals brought back to a state check-in for a long time, ( 42 )I was there when he checked them in, by the way he had 15 bobcats along with a bunch of coyotes and a few grays. I remember lots of guys from that chapter, Skip C. Steve B. a bunch of them. I was a member for more then 27 years but not in OC. The old Long Beach and So Cal chapters were the ones I was in, I started one out here in the desert where I live called the High Desert Predator Callers, they are still going. Well Granpa, You're not the only oldtimer out here LOL, Good Hunting.

glad to hear that i am not the only old guy out here!!! i started with the cgva!! a club that nobody ever heard of!!lol that was in the (gulp) 60's!! we were with douglas ( not the rod and gun club) but we held the meetings at the airport in longbeach!!!contenental game and varmit asc... lots of storys and alot of fun.... i will e-mail you and we can spin some yarns!!! did you ever know bill brumfield ???? with oc!!! will get in touch!!! tom fudge (grandpa fudge)

Grandpa, I heard of it,, told you I was old LOL. I worked for Douglas in Torrance 1965, 66 and 67. Started predator calling in 64 when I got out of the army. Grandpa did you hunt Nevada much when you were in the OC chapter?

Geeze, Danny. My Dad worked at the same plant, and I worked at Harvey Aluminum at 190th & Western. I even worked at Douglas Long Beach.

I do know here in Washoe county you cannot discharge firearms after dark. That is straight from the Washoe county Sheriff.
You can hunt at night with a bow but not a firearm and you cannot spotlight. I know it sounds wierd but thats the way it is. NDOW says its legal to hunt at night here but the local Sheriff's or PD has the final say so thats your best place to check.

NASA, Harvey Aluminum, wow I worked there too, That was in the late 60s I think. What a small world this is. NASA, something in my mind keeps saying you have gone hunting with some of the guys in the California Varmint Callers Asso. Is it you I'm thinking of? Or just my old age playing tricks on me LOL, Good Hunting.

Yep, CVC member, too. Want to hear the story? It was a great relationship. For a while. Then I made the mistake of offering to try and help influence the (at the time) pending proposal to close parts of the Mojave. You see, my cousin worked for F&G. At the top. Second in line to the Director. I mentioned this to the Prez, and when the CVCA membership found out, they panicked. Thought I was a spy, lol. Dumb $hits, nothing could have been further from the truth. Besides, what did they think they had to hide, anyway? Things just weren't the same after that, so I didn't bother to renew my membership when it came due again.

Back