Will Coyotes eat another Coyote??

Savage

I shot and skinned a coyote yesterday, but left the carcass in the woods. Will other coyotes eat it or leave it? What do you guys generally do with the carcasses?

There is this fur guy out on the Eastern plains that I usually take the coyotes to. He skins them and tans them for me. He has this giant carcass pile out on one of his pieces of land. The coyotes never even touch it, just the birds do. But when one of his cows die, look out man, coyote smorgasbord.

Hard to believe, but coyotes will eat dead coyotes. Protein is protein.

At night, I have had coyotes drag off a dead one, while continuing the stand. Never seen it in the daytime, but I have had them steal foxes, and get away with it.

I have also gone to great lengths to keep vultures and ravens away from a carcass, out of curiosity. Sometimes, you can return months later, and they haven't been touched. I have returned the next day and seen no evidence that it was even there. Other times, I have deliberately left one in the middle of a two track, to save time, intending to retrieve in when I turned around, as on a dead end road to a mine site. At night, no chance that I would not see another vehicle coming up that same road, and a very small chance that there would even BE another vehicle. Guess what? Sometimes they are gone. Birds don't know that trick.

I'm pretty well convinced that a coyote is a cannibal.

Good hunting. LB

Just this Fall...

Coyote 1 showed up at the one-minute mark and took the hit a little farther back than intended (IE Visceral Cavity was more than "just exposed") but expired as intended.

Coyote 2 showed up ~8 minutes later walked over to Coyote 1. Scanned the area and then started "snacking away" on the visceral components both on the ground and attached. Will never know if coyote 2 "knew" he was eating coyote 1, can only speculate...

Have left skinned carcasses in coyote-rich habitat to find them "mummy-like" a month later... even the eye material remained (though dried up) So even the birds werent interested that time...

Have returned to the scene of disposed carcasses to find proximate Coyote droppings as well (such as a those found at a cow being fed on)

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

Yes, They will kill and eat the weak and old. Also I saw a "pack" kill a loner and gut him. I have never found were anything has eaten a coyote carcass from one I have skinned

I have had something eat a coyote that I HAVE skinned. I would have to guess that it was coyotes because there was absolutely nothing left and it was only after a week in frozen February weather. Even the ribs where chewed clean.

------------------
Matt/Spinner

i skined a yote and left the carcess in az once.24 hrs later it was
gone but the bones.i dont think it was quail or rabbits that ate it.
so yes i would bet my favorite rifle that yotes eat dead yotes
almost as often as they find them.espically if they are having
a slow weak finding food.

I think it all depends on how hungry they are. Here in Az they are pretty hungry and damn near starving I guess, I have shot multiple coyotes left the bodys after skinning them and go back the next day all that is left is the bones but I also left coyotes out their and nothing touches them for weeks. This one time I shot a coyote on this ranchers land. After I skinned it I left it on the side of the road. I talked to the rancher a little while later and he said he must have some crazy animal on his land, because he found the remains of a coyote but the part that scared the sh#t out of him was their was still fur on all the legs of the coyote and it was all the same length on every leg. After I stopped laughing I told him I just shot that coyote the other day and skinned it. He was really relieved.

Hey Destroyer,
Where are all these starving coyotes you're talkin about? I'll take 3 please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

I am of the oppinion that coyotes oprotunist's(sp)
Last June I found a den and almost every piece of scat around was solely grasshoppers. I'm sure if there was anything dead including a coyote they would have eaten it.

I know where there is a dead dog lying just off the road in a creek bed. I passed there the other day and there is Mr. Coyote lying over the dog. He had been shot while eating on the dog. Other animals continue to feed on the dog but the yote remains untouched. Go figure!!

Since the coyote is an opportunistic animal, of course when the opportunity presents itself they probably will. From the posts above it must be true. I once shot 2 dogs at a stand and decided to leave them where they fell,to maximize the morning hunting time. When I came back to retrieve the fur, there was an eagle on one, and a vulture on the other ripping chunks out of the hide. That's the last time i ever did that with good fur.

I have shot a yote, skinned it and left the carcas to be eaten. I returned a little over a month later thinking it would be eaten. The only part of it that had been touched was a hind quarter, it was missing a chunk around the size of a golf ball.
My brother (Dog pounder) has left a skinned carcas, returned a few weeks later to find another dog had sh!t on it.

Strange critters!

Shot a coyote in November that we left hanging on the fence post after we skinned it. Returned to that area a month or so later expecting to find bare bones and it hadn't been touched! There were a couple of bald eagles sitting in a tree about 400 yards away and we expected them to be right over after we left. The only hole in it at all was the one my bro in law put in it with his .223! The funny part of the story is that somebody stumbled onto it a day or so after we skinned it and thought it was a mutilated pitbull. Go figure. There had been some wacko in Salt Lake carving up people cats and I guess parinoia was running rampant. Hiliarious to hear about your coyote on the radio. A follow up report the next day said "wildlife officials had determined that the animal was a coyote, so no laws were broken!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know it happens but its not the norm. in my neck of the woods this year there is food a plenty and on one ranch that I hunt the rancher wants the carcasses hung on a division fence so thats where I skin them and there are 11 carcasses hanging on that 3/4 mile long fence. Not even the birds have done much to them, but in years past I have hung them on that same fence and come back 3 days later to find them gone except for the hind leg bone I wired to the fence.

I have also seen a badger drag off a carcass and eat it so I know that they will eat coyotes.

Smote the Yote
Slydog

Back