Night Vision?

faw67

Hey fellows I got a ?
Have any of yall had any experience with this type of night vision AN/PVS - 2?
http://morovision.com/ANPVS2.htm
I have used some generation 3 before , but it was military and personally i cant afford 3+ grand for a new toy that dont have a engine, also have tried some of the cheappies that friends and neighbors have and wasnt impressed with "russian" stuff . Any comments will help steer me in the right direction , this is suppose to be the best gen 1 out there?
Thanxs and good huntin to ya all , goin turkey huntin in the mornin myself lol
FAW

Faw67, I can tell you that if you can't spend 2500.00 don't even mess with it. I have tried just about all under 1000.00 and can tell you that it is a waist of your time. I wish someone would have told me this before I paid for shipping back and forth and the waist of my time. Randy Watson will tell you that a good red spot light is all you need. Randy runs a predator guide service and really knows his business.

Kinda what i figured , like i said i used the best in the past and figured it would be like goin from a mercedes to a datsun lol, thanxs i appreciate it
FAW

i have one of the russian made ones....and i have been impressed with it....i can see preaty good with it, but the nights i have had it with, seen nothin but jacks.....but it does get them.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ....still waiting to get a yote or a fox with it..but some other guys i know have gen 3...and some other stuff, but you still have to hit them to get them...LOL..but over all..i dont think i wasted my money on it...the one that i have is a IIOH 3x78...but the IIOH is russian..so i have no clue what it means....LOL..good luck on your choices.......

Make sure they will gurantee your satisfaction or 100% of your money will be refunded to you.

If you weren't impressed with the "cheapies" you've used in the past, I doubt you'll be impressed with this item. The cheap units you used are most likey first generation--exactly what this scope is.

EDIT: Also take a look at the weight: 7.5 lbs. Seems like a lot of weight to add.

WOW! There are still a lot of misconceptions about night vision out there. You dont want 1st gen! for one thing! 2nd gen is more than twice as good and 3rd gen is AWESOME! Whats more, contrary to popular belief thay are becoming affordable.

I have been successfully using night vision equipment to hunt coyotes for over a year now.
You CAN buy affordable 3rd generation night vision equipment. I recently purchased the Night Quest from CABELAS for $1,800. It is produced by I.T.T. one of only two manufacturers of Night Vison intensifier tubes in the U.S. (the other is Liteon). This pocket scope normally sells for over $5,000 dollars but when you speak to a Cabelas rep, you'll see that they buy some of I.T.T.'s non-milspec units at a discount price. The only thing keeping mine from beeing non-milspec is two VERY small specs in the upper field of view that really amounts to nothing.
My weapon site is an ATN currently sold by The Sportsman's guide. I paid $800 dollars for it and it is worth $1,400. Trust ne this is the ONLY way to hunt coyotes at night if you don't wanna spook them. I use the pocket scope while I'm calling then and once they are in I pull up my weapon. An AR-15 equipped with the gen2+ ATN scope. I have had excellent luck with these optics. The 3rd gen Night Quest sees like DAYTIME even when there is almost No available light. The 2nd gen weaponsite I use is not quite as good, but it also has a built in illuminator which is good for about 200 yards and will cause the coyote's eyes to glow even further than that, out to about 400 yards. The coyotes never see the infrared illuminator and so are not spooked unlike conventional spotlights.

Besides it is illegal in my state of Kentucky to use spotlights to hunt anything but raccoons and Possums. But using NIght vision is perfectly legal to hunt all coyotes, according to my local conservation supervisor.

I encourage all coyote hunters out there to check for deals on 3rd gen and 2nd gen night vision, because you see, its not the price you pay but which generation you get.
It used to be mega bucks for 3rd and second gen but not anymore, people are selling them for great prices like Cabelas and the sportsmans guide.
My advice Stay Away from anything lower than 2nd gen or you will be dissapointed. 1st generation SUX period. And some people offer Russian Gen 1 which is equivalent to our generation ZERO. Russian gen 2 is equivilent to our gen 1, again a dissapointment.

I was first exposed to 3rd gen night vision equipment by my local police chief who had an I.T.T. 3rd gen pocket scope. I could not belive my eyes when i looked through it. Everything is like broad daylight except it is green.
Hope this helps all!
Anybody else our there hunting with night vision?

Yea, stalker, though I think the legality is subject to local interpretation. Reading the game regs brochure closely, it would lead one to believe it's not legal to hunt anything at night except frogs, coons, and possums(who hunts possums?), but some conservation officers will tell you it's OK. Anyway, should I be questioned, I'm huntin' coons, officer, here's my coon squaller right here. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
I use a Gen 3 monocle headgear mounted and a Russian made "red dot" type collimator sight on my AR. It's 1X so I'm limited somewhat on range, but sure works well with the NV- a lot better than the Leupold CQ/T that I have on it otherwise! My biggest problem is the limited field of view with NV- I am pretty sure I have called in 'yotes at night and never seen them because of that. Still it's neat to be out at night and be able to see where you're going covertly! If you get to the W. side of the state holler and we'll go out- I can use somebody who can see in the dark to watch my back!

Sounds like alot of money to me. Night vision I'm sure works for predators, but in many states may not be legal, even if it is legal to light at night. I'll have to agree with gary saurage, do as Randy Watson does and save yourself lots of money, the old red light trick works very good and has for years, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good Hunting.

I had a guy come down here once with a good night vision set up, and to be honest with you, I don't see the need to spend all that cash, unless lights are illegal and NV is not.One thing is, with nv, the animal also has night vision.They can see you, so you have to hunt like it's daylight.At night, We can get away with no camo, a lot of movement, and even a few mistakes, as long as the light stays on the critter. I think they have a false sence of security with the light on them.I've killed thousands of coyotes and many hundreds of cats, with a red lens on a spotlight. I'll stick with that. Randy

I've read most of your complaints about cheap night vision rifle scopes.I used to think the same as you, And I was going to buy a $2500 night vision set up untill I started to do some field work of my own. I do own a Russian type Gen 1. It does good to 75 yards with built in light, But I have done many tests with different styles of lighting applications to improve the unit. I've added a simple compact head lamp that uses 2-AA batteries. A red lens was added and tested in the field. I noticed that one red lens was pretty bright....Coyotes did see it and stoped quickly when turned towards them. I then added one more lens that was slightly darker and changed out the spot reflective cap of the light and replaced it with a fog type reflector. It was a huge difference of the reactions of the yote, The coyote seen it but not scared of it. The fog type effect created a more of a glow than a glare. When you turn the light off the yote it was more of a slow fade away compare to the straight beam away effect.I'm getting about 150 yards Visible view and 300 yards of eyes. I have my light mounted on the night vision it self with a little fab work. The night vision is mounted on a panther arms AR-15 Sweet 16 Bull Barrel Carbine.
As long as you keep a slow sweep with the light and not speed throwing it around like SWAT does on TV....You will do just fine.
If you need further information on this subject,please contact me by E-Mail
G.W. Burlin

Randy, like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think these guys could save tons of money and probably kill more critters if they just did it our way. But I guess guys have to try out new ways of doing things and thats ok too. Come to think of it, thats how we found out about red lights lol.

Randy thank you. I've been doing ok.....I think? Been looking for a business to get into without working to hard.....I don't think there is such a thing lol. My wife and I moved up to Idaho, didn't last long. We headed back down south to better weather and more coyotes. Is there anything in Texas that would fit the bill???? I'm sure there is but ya just got to know somebody that has a 100 sections to find a good place to hunt hehehe. Just kidding, God bless and Good Hunting.

It must be nice to have a spotlight friendly legislature in your state, but in Ky NEVER.
Ohh well I guess we can all dream.
In my opinion though, a person hasn't truly lived 'till he's looked through a 3rd gen night scope. It is truly BREATHTAKING! Who needs to shine around a heavy spotlight when you can have a device that can see just like daylight and weighs about as much as a magic marker.
Guys, I was just at Cabelas store in Kansas City Kansas last week and they still have an I.T.T. 3rd generation Night Quest 160 (just like the one I have) sitting on a shelf. Even though their new catalog doesn't show them any more you can evidently still get some. This one was in their "bargan cave". It was at a reduced price of $1,200. Some here seem to think that expensive.
Actually that is an outragously LOW price. This unit is the exact same technology used in the gulf war and would cost you $5,000 if you ordered it direct from I.T.T.
Most people I know back home have spent a LOT more than that on just their guns alone. Some of the top end rifles like the new Remington 22-250's approach that price.
You guys also gotta think about the other benefits of owning a 3rd gen night vision scope.
For instance, I find it invaluable when my dogs start barking in the middle of the night and I'm wondering who/what's out there. I know Instantly now. No need to flash around a light and give away your position. There's no doubt that you can see things with night vision that you couldn't with even the brightest spot lights in certain terrain because of the shadows that are cast by the trees and underbrush.
Dont get me wrong, I'd probably try the redlight thing here too, if it was legal, but it's not.
My Nightquest is one of the most prized possesions I own, I would never regret my decision for buying it I think the money couldn't have been spent for a better item.
Thank God for Cabelas.

coyotejack here, i have a gen III aries 7700 x4 scope, cost $2000, one year old works great but i'm upgrading to 6-10x variable night vision for better acuracy at 200 plus yards. i'll take $1400 firm for my gen III 4x.

Back