Lights For Hogs

elks

I was not sure where to put this post, but here it goes... I was wondering does anyone have any experience with hog hunting at night. I went recently to Texas on a hunting ranch... It was a good place, low fences lots of animals. My questions are as follows: What type of light works best? The guides really leaned towards a pale white light as it is supposed to look like moon light. The ranch we went to had some feeder lights, but they just got em. They strongly suggested not using the red light, I do not know why.... Do hogs see red and green light? I was under the impression that most animals are not spooked by the colored lights (green and red). I have also heard that the red light does not effect your night vision when it is on and off. My wife and I used a green head lamp for light. It seemed to be ok on the Javalina I got... We shined the green light on it for a few minutes before I shot as I wanted to make sure it was big one. What light do you use? Are hogs that different than yotes at night? Have you guys tried any of the scope mounted lights? If so, which one I was looking at Cabelas and they had one for $65. Can they handle the reciol of a 270 with out falling apart? Any other info would be helpful as well...

Thanks
Elks

Elks my experience with hunting hogs at night has been that they spook alot easier than any coyote. We have one of the feeder lights set up and it took them about a month to get use to it, but once they did it never bothered them. We have tried using a red and blue lens and once they were hit with the light they were off running for thick cover. We have alot of hogs in this area and alot of people hunt them so it may be that these hogs have had too much pressure on them at night and have wised up to it. Where abouts in Texas did you go?

Thanks for the help...I am going to re-book a trip for next June. It will be during the full moon, hopefully I will not need artificial ight. For the record we went to a ranch that was about 1.5 hours to the south east of Delrio. It was a pretty cool place, eventhough it was real close to the border. The rates were the best I could find during my search. It was $395 unlimited hogs for 2 nights 3 days. Next time we are going to add an aditional night for a $100 each, maybe 2. Also there were no trophy fees or aditional cost perpounds like other places. I wound up taking 5 medium sized piglets (arround 50lbs each). The coolest part was I took all 5 with 2 shots. Much like waiting for a double prarrie dog shot (it was cool). My Father took a boar that went right at 180 lbs the first 20 minutes of the hunt and heard several at night, but was not fast enough to get the light and the shot on. I also took a nice 48 pound Javalina, I am waiting to bleach out the skull.

Back