Does the noise bother them?

gary saurage

I see the pictures of succesful night hunts here. I was just wondering if the noise from the trucks that you use to hunt from will spoke the predator. I have my four wheeler ready to hunt at night but I am some paranoid over approaching my area with the four wheeler. Duiring day hunts I would park and walk at least a qaurter of a mile before hunting. Please give me your feedback to get me over my paranoid state of mind. Thanks Gary

Randy, what do you mean coyotes are spookyer than others? If so what others? I'm not sure if you mean that some coyotes are scared easily than other coyotes are if you mean for example bobcats don't scare as easily as coyotes. If you read my previous question I think you will understand my miss understanding of your point. Thank you Randy with your help I will eventually learn how to be a good night hunter.

Sorry Gary, I mean that cats and fox are not quite as spooky as coyotes. I've driven right up on cats that never even moved, you won't see a coyote do that. Randy

At the other end of this scale a friend and myself were out one night calling from a 4x4 when we spotted fox eyes they started running in after a burst on a call.....we waited a while turned off the 4x4 (it was still running because we spotted the eyes while on the move) once we turned off it stopped where it was....after 10 minutes of calling and it not coming in we decided to drive a little closer ...once we started again the fox continued to come in........we simply waited for it to get close enough turned off again it stopped and the shot was taken...this ofcourse is the exception to the rule but it wasnt the first or last time this has happened just the most plainly obvious time.

Just a few nights ago we pull up to our calling spot shine around and see 3 sets of eyes a good ways away. We assume they are deer and get up in the stand. We start calling and the eyes start coming fast. To make a long story short we got a shot at all three fox.

gary! i have found that big treads that make alot of noise on your tires will cost you yotes that are in the area!!! sit outside and listen to trucks with loud tires go by and if they stop you can tell right where they are from a long ways!!!! inthe desert it has made me call longer so the dogs that do come in are the ones farther out!! i have street tires on my truck and they are quiet.. i have had them come in in just a min.. or two!!! hope this helps!!

The big tires only make noise when they get up to speed on highways. Otherwise they sound about like any other tire once they are on the dirt and speeds are under that of highway speeds. Other noises like the engine, transmission, squeaky brakes, etc, are likely to make far more noise than tires.

i was talking about on the hi-way!!! out here you drive the hi way and pull off and make a call!!!! we drive about 1 mile between stands and the tires will make a diff.. no matter what speed you drive on asphalt!! listen to the big tires on the road.... some you can't talk when you are in the truck!!! can you belive what the dogs hear in the night when they go by and then stop with a tape playing!!!

bronco!! i just saw where you are from!!! i've hunted nipton, blue diamond, parumph,, caliente and all of the place's around that area !!! other than the kit fox!! you have some great places to hunt!!!

Here in Ohio we are not allowed to hunt from the truck. We pull of the road and walk 50 yards or so then start our calling. We have had predators come in almost as soon as we start calling. So the noise dont seem to upset them to much. We have had fox run under the truck to come in. The only thing that seems to spook them is if the light hits the truck..then there gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Randy Watson writes

I've driven right up on cats that never even moved
The world is not a fair place! LOL

Jeff
wave1.gif

Back