5 best tips for night hunting

WAHNTR

I'm looking to see what other guys do every time they hunt at night. What are your five basic must do things for night hunting coyotes. If you don't have five that's okay too I'm just wanting to try new techniques and put together a system that will increase my chances at night. Thanks

I find that if I want to get the most coyotes possible, I need to shoot straight!!!

In all seriousness, I find a lot of guys simply can't shoot and that seems to be magnified if they hunt at night.

Looking through a scope at night, is sorta like watching your hunt on t.v., It's something you just have to get used to, so I would take a light out and practice shooting first and foremost at night...

1. Identify your target ALWAYS!!!
2. If you have a shot take it...predators dissappear very very easily.
3. Always, Always, Always use some type of land mark after you shoot something...Depth perception is a tricky thing at night. Finding them can be difficult if the grass is higher than a DRT Yote.
4. Once you put a light on an animal before shooting keep the animal haloed the entire time...If you take it off of him he can see you and he is BYE BYE.
5. Understand that mistakes are going to happen and deal with it...Just learn from them and move on...I learn something new every time I go out.

Last edited:
Use an adequate cartridge/bullet combination. You don't want to trail animals at night. They are hard enough to find when the are DRT.

1) Be aware of wind direction and how it effects you're set up. Treat like a deer stand. If the wind's not right, save it for another time.
2) Have enough property to hunt on without overhunting any of them. Fresh ears are much easier to call to than educated ones.
3) Calling too softly is better than too loudly. Once that too loud call is made, you can't bring it back. We tend to underestimate a predator's hearing.
4) Approach your stands with stealth. Hitting the field with headlights, slamming truck doors, loud talking,and stomping in can blow a stand before you dig out the call.
5) When you have a gut feeling that something's going to happen and it doesn't, stay that extra five minutes. Once you learn to trust your gut and have some patience, good things will haoppen. Good Luck!

When hunting at night place your e-caller (if using one) close by. When an animal approaches it will be much easier to pick up his eyes in your light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. Hunt right before and right after low pressure (bad weather) systems. Critters can sense bad weather coming and will want to eat, and if they've holed up, say after a snow storm, they're gonna be hungry and digging out afterwards....and they're a lot slower coming thru the snow, giving you a little more time to aim and shoot....

2. Sneak in AND out of your stands....
3. Mentioned already: Get LOTS of places to hunt
4. Always help out another predator hunter with tips, it will always come back to you (This is a non-hunting tip)!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
5. Buy enough predator light, and an extra battery
6. Find a place that allows night firing and practice in the dark with the light you'll be using. You'll be a better judge of distance this way.

wow last night I took my first shot at a spotlighted coyote and I mean all I can say it is a diff kind of game I mean I missed at 200 yards and 3 days ago I dropped one at 450 in the daylight!

the combo guns work great a night. I use a 12 gauge in 3 inch with a dead coyote choke tube Shotgun # 4 buck or T shot. The barrel under it is a 223 caliber. This gun has double triggers. Front trigger shotgun and back trigger rifle. I use a Trijicon 3x9 scope with illuminated post. i can allways see my sight. I top the whole outfit off with a light force lighting system. It work great. Just bagged 3 huge bobcats in south texas last week.

just punch up charles daly on the net. or call KBI IN HARRAIBURGH, PA. there are some 22 hornets/12 gauges out there but very few. i paid $1700 for an empire grade 12 gauge/223 calber and $1200 for superior grade a 30-06/ 12 gauge. This is very cheap for a high quality combination gun. Most combination guns now are priced well over $3000.00. kREIGHOFF, BLASER TO NAME A FEW.

Last edited:
Good advice and basic's listed by all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Let me add another on a different note.
TIME
I'f you have the entire night to hunt, (hopefully), and a good looking spot hasn't been as productive as you thought should be, try a different time of night. Best time is usually early darkness, but be willing to vary that to late darkness early light and see if these spots won't turn suddenly good for you.
Coyotes cover quite a distence some nights and what was there last night probably will not be there tomorrow. At least not always.
Geographic location has a lot to do with their travels, but be flexable and try different times.
In fact going back to a spot called early one night with a later call time next day may well pay off.
Catch them starting their hunt, in the middle of there travels, or goung back to their den area. This is what having a large area to hunt helps most with. As with other suggestions, (IMO)mileage may vary!!
Later
DF2

1. Use a quality night vision scope on enough gun. Avoid shining lights or making noise.
2. Change your call after about five minutes, even if its just a different rabbit in distress. I pause the e-caller and mouthcall.
3. Hunt where there is game or dont expect to see any. Sounds pretty stupid but its probably the most important.
4. Set up so that you are hidden well, most predators can see well at night. Wear black.
5. Spot hunt, be prepared to move if you dont see game in reasonable time, 15-20 minutes.

Hey, I'm new to the site and have been looking around for a few days. I went on my first hunt today and didn't see anything. So I just wanted to ask, so do you only stay in an area for about 15 minutes. and when shining the light into the field I've seen people say, "leave it on" does that mean constant spot light onto the field. Thanks guys!!

1. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT...
2. Know the property that you are going to hunt better than you think you should...it WILL look different at night.
3. Have patience!!! Some animals will respond slowly...
4. With time you will learn the animals and the way they move and respond...pay attention...a lot of the time you will be able to tell if they will keep coming, if they are fixing to leave, what type of animals is coming, etc.
5. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT...

Back