6.5 mm Coyote bullet

Okay, I'm new to coyote hunting and will be using a comination gun in 12ga6.5x57R for coyotes and fox. Which 6.5mm bullet would you yote hunters think would do less fur damage? 100 gr FMJ or one of the 85 grain varmint bullets? Do you think a 6.5mm, 85 grain varmint bullet would pass through a coyote? I'll be loading to about 2,800 to 2,900 fps.

I'd shoot the 85 grain varmint bullet, should just disintegrate, and at those velocities, shouldn't pass through either. Most guys on here have recommended that weight for a .243 at about those velocities for a .243, I doubt it would do much different. I plan on getting a .260 in the spring, and I will be shooting the 85 grain sierra varmint bullets for yotes.

It's not likely you'll be satisfied with the 85gr. varmint bullet to minimize fur damage. Even at 2800 or so FPS it should leave a nasty exit wound in a coyote clear out to 300 yards. Varmint bullets are designed to fragment but the energy doesn't stop there, coyotes are very thin skinned and have little bones that tear up the pelts when shattered.

My 300 Fireball leaves a 3 inch hole using 110gr. VMAX bullets fired at 2100 fps, much slower and heavier than what you intend to use and it's ugly. You may be better off using a heavier big game bullet to reduce the expansion and fur damage.

That is kind of what I thought would happen and why I have 100 grain FMJs. These are Lapau bullets and have a rounded point sort of like a .22 rimfire. I figure they will exit but not with a big hole. But I could be wrong.

The only issue you may encounter is using FMJ boolets for hunting. Some states do not allow them, otherwise use'em and see how they work for ya.

I use a 95 gr V-Max, the 85 gr Sierra and the 100 gr Nosler BT in .260 Rem. It depends on where I hunt as the the bullet used...the .260 cartridge is "throwing the duece" accurate. I have never had fewer problems with load development than that with the .260 Rem. With at or over 1,000 of energy at 500 yards for many loads, very seldom does anything get up and go hide like the problems I had with the .223 (and no, the 95 gr V-Max is "NOT" fur friendly).

I don't shoot at lot of coyote's but the first animal I killed with my 6.5-06 was a coyote. Hit it broadside in the chest at about 150yds. Bullet went in one side and out the other, didn't even get much blood. 140gr Hornady Inter lock at a bit over 2900 fps.

I plan on using the new Sierra 123 Match HP as soon as I can get a rifle put together for the 6.5. However, I don't have concerns of fur damage. I would not recommend a FMJ bullet for hunting at all! Not only do they not kill well you will have them dancing all over the country side. Would think a heavier soft point or at least a soft point in the range you are looking for would do the trick.

If you are going to shoot FMJs be sure to have a good liability policy. There may be a prize bull behind that hill a mile away that your FMJ can ricochet over.

Personally I maintain a 2 million liability policy and would not shoot FMJs on a bet even in the wide open west.

Jack

Back