how important is scent control with coyotes?

bigmike22

I am a fanatic bow hunter and i have been told i am beyond anal about my scent control. I only use scent free soaps, detergents. I wear a scent lok suit, hat gloves, boots. I store all of my items in a scent free container. I wont let my wife drive my suv during hunting season because she wears perfum. I am new to the world of coyote hunting and was wondering how there noses are compared to a whitetail deer. If they are remotely close my wife my kill me because of how i am about scent control and it will add a few more months to my hunting seasons.
Do you guys use cover scents? Do you wear your scent lok suits for yotes as well as deer?
Do you use scent free sprays before you head out to the woods?
Whatever you use please let me know. This is all new to me
thanks big mike

Quote:
Do you guys use cover scents?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

Quote:
Do you wear your scent lok suits for yotes as well as deer?

No I don't because I do not own any scent lok items at all..

Quote:

Yes I do as I believe that they can't hurt you at all..

Wind is a much more important factor and should be paid closee attention to..

The direction as well as speed will determine a lot about where a coyote will respond and how he will aproach you..

You might do a search on scent control, cover scents and such as there is a wealth of knowlege right at your figertips..

Just remeber that different areas can require different strategies to hunt them.... James L.

A coyote's nose is much better than a deer's. So much better that you probably WON'T be able to mask your scent if he gets downwind, no matter what you use.

There are some propanants of "misting" downwind with a brew of really stinky stuff. They say it gains them a couple of precious seconds to shoot, while the coyote is hit with sensory overload (but he still smells you too).

They are probably right, but I don't use that stuff on pain of banishment from my house.

Include "misting" in your search.

Hey Mike, since a coyote's nose is capable of detecting olefacory molecules in parts per trillion, despite your scent locs and sprays and other precautions, if you let it get downwind it will be able to detect what brand of toothpaste you use and what you had for dinner the night before (well, maybe). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't mind if a caller who hunts with me wears Old Spice on stand or drenches himself/herself with cheap perfume, UNLESS the coyote associates those smells with a human presence they may only serve to arouse the coyote's curiosity. Trappers use perfume as a lure on coyote sets. Maybe if you let your wife drive your vehicle it may benefit you.
That said, I believe that any effort to reduce your human odor is a positive effort. Perhaps it will narrow your scent cone and give you an additional second or two before you are busted.
The fact of the matter is, I begin the day in fresh clean clothes and a fresh shower, but I call in as many coyotes at the end of that day as I do at the beginning.
I just select my stands around wind direction.

Quote:
I am a fanatic bow hunter and i have been told i am beyond anal about my scent control. I only use scent free soaps, detergents. I wear a scent lok suit, hat gloves, boots. I store all of my items in a scent free container. I wont let my wife drive my suv during hunting season because she wears perfum. I am new to the world of coyote hunting and was wondering how there noses are compared to a whitetail deer. If they are remotely close my wife my kill me because of how i am about scent control and it will add a few more months to my hunting seasons.
Do you guys use cover scents? Do you wear your scent lok suits for yotes as well as deer?
Whatever you use please let me know. This is all new to me
thanks big mike

You breath will emit more odors than any part of your hunting gear. Unless you are gargling with fox pee, all the other steps are mute. Make him pay for the wind.

Until I quit smoking in Sept, I used to use cigar smoke for cover scent. Not sure if it worked or not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course when I used to bow hunt deer I used to sit there and smoke and I had numerous deer come from directly down wind to check what kind of cigar I was smoking. I can't tell you how manytimes over the years that I had to put down my cigar so I could shoot a deer.

True story RagnCajn. Most folks don't even think about that one.
I'll be putting out a new product on the market real soon I hope, called facemask--ing your bad breath. Only $29.95 at your local sporting goods store. It's better then using fox pee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
A excellent cover scent is easily made. Simply pull some Cedar put in a pot of water and boil it. Drain the water and strain it. Now put the water in a spray bottle and you have an excellent cover scent.

I agree with most everything said so far. I'm not a real seasoned coyote hunter, but I've lived with bird dogs my whole life. When we smell pasta cooking, they smell flour, eggs, etc. You can't cover your scent, because then they smell you and cover scent. I guess it can't hurt but I feel it's a waste of time and money. Just put all of your time into setup, being quiet and staying still.

"I am a fanatic bow hunter and i have been told i am beyond anal about my scent control."

Anal scent control is very important if you are hunting with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Of course some guys like "Crapshoot" call it "Cover Scent".

BTW welcome to the Predator Masters, where we take things very seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Unless you are gargling with fox pee, all the other steps are mute.

Now the mind that could come up with that is just plain demented. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Glad I wasn't eating when I read that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif You are sick puppy RC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back