Calling contest

Gary, we met at Snyder. I'm sure you don't have a problem getting partners, but if you ever hear of anyone out there who needs one well schooled in shining, shooting or whatever, tell 'em to e-mail ol' songdogger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Have truck, gun, light and calls, will travel.

Abilene sounds like a good idea for early March. If anyone gets a flier on the contest, post it or post the rules and such, please. Thanks!

I hope Abilene has changed their payout procedure because last year they gave us a gift certificate to their store instead of the cash. (My wife didn't like any of the stuff they had in there) If we can't find one anytime soon then I guess I will put another hunt on myself and base it out of Midland. I would hope that all of the callers on this board from Midland would come and participate.

Gary,
That would suck!(gift certificate)

If you do put on a contest, you might even get an entry or two from us easterners. Let us know.

The payout for the Abilene went like this last weekend - big cat and big dog received cash and the rest was in gift certificate. I agree it sucks. There is also a hunt in Childress Feb. 22 - that is for bobcats, coyotes, and wild hogs. Points are as follows - hogs = 10pts bobcats = 60 pts coyotes = 30 pts and mt lions = 200 pts. We hunted it last month and ended up with 1 stinking hog - couldn't hit a coyote to save our hides. Sign in is at 9:00am and the hunt starts at 10:00am that Saturday and you must be checked in no later than 12:00 noon the next day. Meeting place is the intersection of FM 2530 and FM 268 which is NE of Childress - rock house with green roof. Entry fee is $25.00 per person with limit of 4 per team. $10.00 side pots for large coyote, bobcat and MOST hogs. This is 100% payback in cash. We will be hunting this hunt in hopes to redeem ourselves on missing those yotes last time. I think there was 11 or 12 teams last time. I haven't heard if they will put one on in March, but we are hoping they will.

Songdogger, I am going to have a calling contest on Saturday March 1. Contact either Randy Watson or myself for more information. We would love to have you come and hunt in our contest.
Captkb, Tell all of those old country boys in Childress hello from me (that is my old hometown)

Pudman, I don't know about the Childress hunt but you can probably contact a guy named Darrell McIntyre for more details. As for my hunt you can hunt wherever you have permission to hunt.

Ray Morales and I started the Abilene contest 3 ys ago for hunters that didn't have the amount of land to compete with the Graham hunt, the 1st yr it was all cash 100 percent payout. Then the owner of the store told Ray to go with gift certificates, Ray didn't want to but the boss DID.
They gave away some really good prizes for the overall last year. Is it all about money???? or is it about a bunch of guys with a common interest going out and getting away from the stresses of daily life and having a good time. How many of us hunt contests for a living, I doubt any. I quit the bass fishing tournaments for that very reason.
There are some very fine people that hunt in the Abilene hunt. For info call 1-800-868-8744

If any of you also bowhunt or shoot archery, Ray Morales is a top notch coach and bow technician.

Ray Morales and I started the Abilene contest 3 ys ago for hunters that didn't have the amount of land to compete with the Graham hunt, the 1st yr it was all cash 100 percent payout. Then the owner of the store told Ray to go with gift certificates, Ray didn't want to but the boss DID.
They gave away some really good prizes for the overall last year. Is it all about money???? or is it about a bunch of guys with a common interest going out and getting away from the stresses of daily life and having a good time. How many of us hunt contests for a living, I doubt any. I quit the bass fishing tournaments for that very reason.
There are some very fine people that hunt in the Abilene hunt. For info call 1-800-868-8744

If any of you also bowhunt or shoot archery, Ray Morales is a top notch coach and bow technician.
North American Outfitters is a Mathews dealer and PSE and reloading supplies.

Doghuntr, I wasn't slamming your contest but we like to get cash back if we pay in cash for an entry fee. Yes we hunt for the fun of it but the extra money we win occasionally sure comes in handy to support our hobbies. Someone has to pay for the gas for these hunts especially when we have to drive as far as we do to compete. We have met alot of really nice guys while hunting these contest and I hope everyone keeps having them.

Pudman, Coyotes are 30, Bobcats are 25, Fox are 10, Mountain Lions are 100. Head shots are an extra 5. We will also have a heavy coyote and cat side pot along with a Wolfe purse. Give me your address and I will be happy to mail a flyer to you.

Back