Will wrapping your gun in camo effect the accuracy?

Hawkins

I got some camo wrap from cabelas its like the ace bandage it only sticks to itself, if you wrap it around the barrel and the stock will it cause your gun not to shoot good. I have just heard if your barrel is floated then anything touching it could effect the accuracy.

And also hello everybody long time reader first time poster.

I put some on my tikka 223 from the end of the barrel to the front of the stock. I haven't wrapped the entire barrel.
I have not seen any accuracy issues.

wrap it up...then take it out and sight it in with the wrap on it...works for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I used that same stuff your talking about on my .243. I took the barrel off and wrapped the whole thing and then start in on the stock. Only sucky thing about that tape is that is does not stick to the gun so around the reciever is tough. I just used super glue to get it to stay around the reciever(old gun, dont care about the wood).
huntin028.jpg

huntin029.jpg

If you care or if your gun is floated then you might want to do this. I talked with several people before i did this and then said it should effect it unless its floated. This is just a old winchester so i didnt care and wanted to get it camoed. If you do the barrel you just have to make sure its very snug to the gun as it will have tape between the barrel and the stock.I think it looks pretty sharp and i know it camoes it pretty darn good in grass/prarie where i live. I ran out of tape on the scope and couldnt finish that or the bipod. I did this with one roll.

Coloduk, I wrapped my barrel to my stock, and i was hitting all over the paper, and i took the tape off and it still did it, when i first got the gun i could put three holes touching at 100 yards, w/ the winchester 45gr.22.250 white box in the 40 round packs. the gun only has about 150 rounds thru it and ive cleaned it 4 times so i dont think its copper fouling.

your problem with accuracy may well be something else, I had a 22-250 one time that would put a 3/4 inch group together on a calm day at 200 yards, later that same year I couldn't get a 3 inch group at 100 yards....front scope bases were loose, I cleaned and cleaned and tried different loads and floated the barrel and the whole ball of wax...and something so simple put the mojo on me, so double check EVERYTHING. your gun will still shoot as good as it used to, you just have to figure out what went out of wack on you...and I dont believe it has anything to do with the camo tape...all it did to my rifle when I taped it up was changed the POI, once I dialed it back in with the tape on I was good to go. Good luck, let us know what you find out.

well i found out what my problem was, i took my scope off to check the base screws and while i was at it i changed scopes. the gun was shooting back to normal, the bad scope was a 6.5 - 20 x 50 simmons whitetail classic only 9 months old.

Back