Federal Match 69gr SMK as a hunting round?

Bearcat 74

I have been reading more about people using SMK bullets for hunting, especially deer. What do you guys think about the .223 Federal Match 69gr SMK as a coyote and groundhawg round? I am shooting a BushMaster 24" 1/9twist would it handle that weight bullet? How do you think performance would be?

Thanks

Last edited:
Most of the people who have actually tried them think they work quite well. A lot of people don't like them but they are usually just quoting somebody else.

Jack

I am in the process of doing some test on the 75gr BTHP by Hornady. It has a higher BC than the 77gr SMK and is mag length. Also its cheaper to buy from Black Hills than the 77gr (by almost $100 per 1k). I have had good luck with the 77gr SMK as far as accuracy but havnt tested it on fur yet. From what I have read I agree with Mr. Roberts.

I don't think will have a problem as your 24" barrel will keep the vel up. I believe folks having the problems are shooting the rounds in short barrels. Vel is the key with these bullets in my opinion.

Quote:
Would you guys try the Federals @3000fps or the Black Hills@2850fps? I have no idea if these are actual, just what is listed on the net.

Get some of both. See which one your gun likes better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

the 77gr smk black hills are doing great out of my 223.i have shot 4 does with them this year and a bunch of hogs.i shot a 250 lb sow tonight.

Bearcat,

I've fired thousands of 69gr Matchkings in rifles with 1:9" twist from Bushmasters to Remington bolt rifles with stellar results. It seems that the 1:9" twist and the 69gr Matchking are a perfect combination for accuracy.

To be honest with you I've never used them on coyotes but on long range prairie dogs they didn't seem to open up very well and I went back to the 55gr and 60gr VMax.

Obviously the coyote presents a lot more "flesh, hide, and bone" to cause bullet expansion on the terminal end so this data may be useless for terminal performance in coyotes.

Note that there are a LOT of hunters that use Matchkings for hunting with good results but there are a some hunters that claim to have had failure to expand. Sierra technicians will claim that it's not a good choice because the bullet was designed as a target bullet and wasn't designed to perform like a hunting bullet at the terminal end.

For those that are about to "inform" me that Remington doesn't make a rifle chambered in 223 with a 1:9" twist check this out....

Remington 700P
Remington LTR

My personal choice for a coyote bullet for a 223 for coyotes would be the excellent 60gr VMax which is a proven performer and was designed for optimum terminal performance on game but I'd sure like to hear of your actual field experiences with the Matchkings if you elect to try it.

$bob$

I can't speak for these bullets on deer or 'yotes, but I have used them on chucks, and they are a dismal failure.

They were about as effective as an ice pick.

Except for one, whose spine was hit... all the rest made it back to the hole (with speed), and bled to death down in the holes.

Never tried the SMK for deer, but I have tried the Amax. Here is a little meat buck I shot with a 75gr Amax at 3350 out of a 22" 22-250. I have since backed it off to about 3300-3320 with better accuracy results at longer ranges. The amax did not hold together, It completely came apart inside. I could only find a few small pieces of the jacket. I am going to work up a load with the 62gr TSX and keep the target bullets for shooting targets with.

RifleBuckcropped.jpg

Back