Favorite Groundhog Caliber

ncyotecaller

I was wondering what everybody thought was the best caliber to use for hunting groundhogs. I know saving pelts isn't an issue here but I don't want to use my 300wsm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When I lived in Maryland I shot hundreds with the 223 and as long as you hit them in the forward 1/3 of the body it anchors them right there. The 221 is as good at shorter ranges but can't shoot the heavier bullets needed for longer range as well as the 223.

Jack

I think once the votes are all in you will find it is the 22-250. However, I don't agree with that, and have found that the new 204 really is coming on fast as a groundhog gun. It is very-very fast and by far and away the flattest shooting rifle I have ever shot personally myself. I bought one and then liked it so well I bought another. One is a heavy barrel for shooting off a rest and the other is a light little sporter model, they both work awesomely.

This photo was taken at 4:00pm and ten more were killed before sunset. Remington 700 VLS in 204, Bushnell 4200 6x24x40
portroyal.jpg

Calm day: 220 Swift, 204 Ruger
Windy day: 6mm Rem, 243 AI, 25/284,
These would be my favorites for most places I hunt, YMMV
F1

It is worth considering what area you are hunting in. If noise is an issue, it is hard to beat the triple-deuce. I've got a Rem. 788 with a Bushnell 4200 6-24x and it'll drive tacks with 50gr. VMax's. It was quite effective to about 250 yards (max.) but I had to make sure I hit them 'hogs very well beyond about 175. The nice thing is, I'd be only 100 yards from my in-laws place and people in the house wouldn't hear the shots.

When I could shoot a louder gun, I used a .243. That tipped them over, as far as I could hit them (and probably further /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) .

That covers what I used to use, because that's what I had. When I can get after hogs again, I'll certainly keep using my .222 - I love it! If noise were not an issue, and shots were never over 400 yards, I'd probably vote for an accurate .22-250. Beyond 400 yards, something in 6mm cal. would be a better choice for reliable kills.

I own a .204 now and am looking forward to trying it on groundhogs. I haven't mentioned it, only because I have no experience with it yet.

I had very good luck this year with my 204. That's what I'm going to stick with for most of my groundhog hunting. I used mine out to 300 yds this year. May take the swift out a little but that barrell gets so hot not good for groundhogs. Nice to have though if I see a 500 yd groundhog out there.

nice looking rig.. i saw a CZ in 204 for 350$$$ i like the set trigger.. I have been tipping chucks over with my savage 93 in 22 mag. I gave it a paint job and i want to get a trigger upgrade... I have kilt chucks with it out to 200 yds... I have just got a Stevens 200 in 223.. shoots awsome this is gonna be my new chuck gun.. mfm

Man do I wish I could join in on all this fun. There is a family of chucks down behind the barn.

Unfortunately they are a protected species here in Wisconsin. I dont know why, everywhere I drive I see them all over the place, not to mention watching people almost wreck their cars trying to avoid them on the roads.

Soon they might be legal.

Mike

243hog2.jpg

I have to say that after all the hog shootin I have had the chance to do so far, that the .243 has been the most accurate and enjoyable for me to shoot...and it gets the job done with a 75 grain v-max. Farthest laser confirmed shot this year for me was 485 yards....next year I am going to break the 500 mark!

The most popular overall in my area is the .223

For walking edges,position shooting with sling at closer ranges around farms etc. the 22lr, rim mag, 22Hornet are most common.

"best caliber" - depends whom you ask and on what day. Personally although I have never owned one a standard,non varmint .223 AR-15 flat top scoped with a 10x fixed mil dot and a sling. No bi-pod,sticks,table,laser range finder,spoting scopes........just a ball cap ...... would do it all from standing to prone to off a hay bail at close & walking to long distance and be sporting at that .......do it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But thats just today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back