Do any of you call Raccoons? Need advice?

AR-MAN

This year I bought a JS e caller and thought I would go out at night and call coons. Sounded like
a great time. Only thing is I haven't had any success yet. I am using the "coon fight tape and the coon puppies tape.
Can anyone give me some advice on the matter? And how about calling coons during the day?
Thanks, Mike

AR-MAN,
I can tell you that I have had little success calling coons at night. Not saying that it can't be done, but as far as calling them in during the day, I would have to say it would be pretty tought since a raccoon is pretty much a nocturnal animal. I have only done some night calling for coons during the winter when it was real cold at that time I was unaware that during real cold conditions the coons are not as active. Maybe that had something to do with the little success we had. Now that spring is here and the breeding season, maybe the boar coons will be looking for some loving and things will pick up. I have never done any night calling for coons during the early spring or summer, so maybe I should try that myself. Good luck with the calling.

I've called em', shined em', and shot em' many times with the Yellowhammer woodpecker and young woodpecker in distress sounds. I can't hunt them this late in the season but I suggest the DK coon puppies 2 tape, that starts working later in the season as they get into breeding. I might add I have yet to call a coon when very cold and withsnow on the ground. Good Luck...

Oh, I have not seen many coons during the day. I have however seen a few early morning while deer hunting. My sweet spots for coons are around corn fields, creek bottoms, and small ponds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We tryed calling coons this year with out much luck,but we called in several while we were fox calling with woodpecker and squeking tapes,even had several come in and check out the grey fox pup tape.we do good around river bottoms and old home places that are broke down,creek bottoms.i can tell you that they do not move when it is realy cold or in the snow..they stay in the den.havent never called one in during the day.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the "AP-6"? Also, thanks for all the replys. I will have to try the wood pecker tape. I have the "JS Super coons" tape, is that the same as the "DK coon puppies 2 " tape? Any more advice would be appreciated. I don't think I will go out anymore this year because I think they are held up in their dens. But I want to gather up as much info as I can for next season. So please lay all the detail on me as you can and if you know of any web sites that deal with coons in more depth let me know.
Thanks again.
Mike

i have killed several coon this year on warm winter nights in and around corn fields and old barns using the woodpecker js tape. moose

If I had as good of luck calling coyotes as I did coons I would be another Randy W. type. With a mouth call if you can sound like some kind of small bird in distress they come in at least to see what is going on. I rarley shoot coons unless I am in a contest and not having other luck. The last I was out calling I had 5 come up around the truck until the coyotes howled.

My hunting partner and myself call in coons on a regular basis. At least one per hunting trip, usually more. We use the Mini-Blaster by Burnham bros. They must like what they hear because we just let them hang around until we feel nothing else is coming in. Many have sat down and waited for their turn in the spotlight. Makes slow coyote and fox hunting a bit more interesting.
None during the day though.

i've called in alot of coons here in the southeast part of nebraska, i always used either coon puppies or coon puppiesII, my best advice is to get into the thick stuff with them, they don't seem to like to come out into the open when repsonding to the coon puppies tape, the sows will come right in to your caller they will be very mad growling and popping there teeth, be sure to shine your light around in the trees as i probably killed more coons that just went up into the tree as i did that actually came into the call. where are ya located at in nebraska? good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

look for the replies to Randy Buker's post under varmint hunting (?) and under electronic calling. Some posts on there on calling coon.

Like the rest I've not had any luck during the day but late evening or night I've had my best luck with a mouth blown coon sqauwler.

Cw. Sorry for the slow reply. I have been hanging around the reloading page since hunting season was over. I am located in Lincoln. I do some bowhunting and late season rifle hunting around Humbolt though.
Heres my email if you want to go after some coons some time this winter. michaelw@inebraska.com

AR-MAN,
Welcome and good hunting to ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
From my experiance just beaware that if the shoot placement isn't good enough to do the job right the first time they have been known to come back at ya with a vengance. Just a word to the wise.

Sav, I have heard that they often will come in with an attitude. I have been thinking about putting a dot scope on my rifle for fast shooting. But I am only shooting a 22LR. I am new to coon calling so I haven't even got to take a shot at one yet.

We saw lots of coons on the lakes on the ranch we hunted this weekend never hit a call at them just found them in the roads and on the bank of the ponds.

Just a guess, but I think you need to be close to the coon. A coyote may come in from a good distance, but I think the coon may not go far. I would think you would want to be close to them, their den, eating places. T.20

I've never actually called coon myself, although I do know a thing or two about them as I've enjoyed trapping them for several years. I can tell you that they do hibernate during freezing weather, and that they are most active on a warm or thawing night after a spell of freezing weather. I've been told that a fun and productive way to call them is to float a small river or creek (at night) in a canoe with an E-caller and coon puppies tape. Keep a close eye on both the banks and in the trees. I've heard reports of them coming in so aggresive that they'll actually swim to the canoe, so stay allert!

This weekend we went spoting for coons. First night was in the field 1 min in started the sceery cottontail call and immediatly saw eyes. He never came out of the tree so we stalked up and shot him. Then the spots battery ran out and ruined that night. Next day I went and bought a good spot. Friday night we were driving out into the back corner of the woods had the truck lights off and just using the halo of the spot and calling and spotted a coon in the tree. Popped him with a 22 and he fell 30ft out of the tree. After awhile of nothing coming in we drove to the other side of the property and stopped to call and immediatly saw eyes coming towards the call. It was about 100yd from his tree to the center of the open field but he was coming. We decided we didnt want to wait for the coon to get to us so we tore off thru the field and saw him hightail it up the tree. Took 10 min before we finally spotted him and then it was only his ear. I had the 12ga and my buddy and his 22 so he took a shot for what he thought would be a vital shot and the coon fell out of the tree and came tearing towards him pissed off. He tried to unload on him but kept missing I think we might have been a little scared my bud that is. Anyways I smashed him with #2shot at about 5 or so feet from my friend. It was a great time and not bad for my first weekend of coon hunting.

I would say they come to the call 3 sets and 3 coons is enough proof for me.

Back