How long do you stay?

I to stay about the same time on average, but to me it also depends what I am calling and where I am calling. Some of my places simply take longer to produce. The reason is I hunt alot of smaller places that have bigger places connected to them and I have to pull the coyotes off of maybe 2 or 3 places over that we don't have permission to hunt. I never stay longer than 45 minutes at one stand location though. Good luck

We stayed in the same spot last nite and called in a fox and had a yote hang up at about 150 yards. We got there at about 1130pm and left at 3am?? The only reason we did this was cause all we had to hunt was about 100 acres to hunt and its all pasture. We called in sets that lasted about 5 minutes then waited till we called again. All from the same location. BUT there is no pressure on these dawgs except for us...

If I call at night I pretty much stay in the same spot all night.I don`t like going through the woods in the dark.If I`m on a ranch I may move once or twice but not too often.

Dang! I can't imagine sitting in one spot all night. We usually make a stand every thirty minutes or so. We move constantly trying to find willing participants.

Here in PA our key for calling them in is to hit as many spots as possible in a night. We'll call for 10 or 15 minutes and them move on. Let's face it the more spots you hit the more you up your odds on finding a critter (fox in my case) that is hungry and maybe never even heard a predator call before. I would hate to call from one spot for an hour at a time, I do enough sitting during archery season!

I've found that about 80% of my animals show up in the first seven minutes of calling time. After that the rest trickle in. I can't imagine sitting in one place for longer than a half hour. When I go twenty minutes I feel like I've been there an eternity. Most of my stands last fifteen minutes unless I have a really good feeling about it. Then they may go twenty.

Randy

R Buker,
That's exactly what I've been experiencing. We have been setting up and calling for anywhere from 10-20 minutes (depending on the area and expectations). We have had most animals come in within 5 minutes actually. Many are within only 2-3 and the fun ones are there within 1! Pretty suprising when they are there that soon. I have only been calling at night, so can't comment on the day/night deal.

One problem we have had is sensitivity to even red lights. We prefer to not use any light at all and hunt under the moon with snowcover. Doesn't have to be all that bright out to pick up a coyote in a good scopes crosshairs.

bigc,
Last fall we set up in a spot and I ended up having to turn the tape over twice. Three gray fox and two big coons were shot. Every time we were about to quit we would pick up a set of eyes. We were there around a hour and fifteen minutes. The last fox came in like he was unconcerned, just walked in. I feel that those that move after fifteen minutes are missing a lot of critters, especially bobcats. Did you ever notice how much better you can hear at night. I have seen coyotes come in to a call from around 600 yards walking all the way, in North Texas.

Back