Coyote eyesight

coyotesniper

I dont't know if this has been covered before. Does anyone know how far a coyote can see clearly at dark? 100yds 1000yds. In Iowa we can't use lights, so I am looking into night vision for out to around 300 yard. THANKS

That to me is a question that can't be answered to any depth. All coyotes can see well at night, but some may see better or more poorly than others. Coyotes are just like dogs and can get catarac's or other eye problems that will affect their vision, so to answer your question. There is no exact answer on how far, but the closest answer I could give is that they in most cases will be able to see you a long time before you see them if you don't have some sort of light pointing in their eyes and you behind it. Not being a smarty pants either. They can see very well at night and without you being able to shine a light to get the reflection of their eyes and work them with that light it will be pretty hard. If the ground had alot of snow coverage it would make it easier for you with night vision, but I think you are trying to do something that will prove that you are defeating yourself and only educating coyotes to a call. Just my opinion though. Good luck

I asked this same question to a great predator hunter in Flagstaff, AZ, Gerry Blair and his response was, "I believe that the rods and cones in the eyes of a coyote are simular to ours" and "that they should be able to see at night much like we can".

Canids are thought to be able to see two colors, red and green besides the usual black and white.

A study by Bekoff & Wells (1986) showed that adults and juveniles were about equally successful when they hunted small rodents (about 20-25% of the time). Adults and juveniles also enjoyed their highest success rate when they hunted gophers and were least successful when they hunted voles. Coyotes were also more successful when they hunted small rodents in short grass and shallow snow. Wind conditions did not influence hunting success. This trend is consistent with the notion that vision is more important to coyotes than olfaction (or audition) when they are hunting small rodents. Grass height (c.f. snow depth, wind conditions, and prey type) accounted for the greatest amount of variation in the duration of searching and orienting.
Also from the same study

SENSES: The extended snout provides abundant surface for the olfactory organ, allowing the coyote to detect odors of prey at long distances under favorable conditions. Binocular vision and sense of hearing are excellent.
Bekoff, M., Mammalian Species No. 79, Canis latrans, 1977.

Back