Which scope for less than $200 ?

Pretty much all scopes these days advertise fog proof.

I think anymore there is no need to spring for a Leupold. 10 years ago yes. I think you can get a Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite or Weaver Grand Slam for less with the same quality and features.

On the cheaper end I hate to say it but I hate Simmons. Had one and it sucked. I would check out the Nikon Buckmasters, Elite 3200 or the Weaver Classic V series. I just bought a cheap Weaver Classic and it is very nice and made in Japan, not Taiwan.

All those brand names are making good quality scopes now a days for the money. But what I look at is functionality. What am I going to be using it for. Then adjust to the brand name that best meets those needs. They don't all meet the exact same criteria, though they're close.

"Considering your part of the country." You aren't going to need a prairie scope for coyotes such as a 4x16 or a 6x18 or 6x20. Your average shots probably range from 10 to 250 yds maybe. Super powers aren't really needed are they? Target acquistion, some shot will be moving. So a scope that can go fairly low and possibly a circle X recticle for getting on target quick. A circle X crosshair is a regular duplex'd crosshair except it has a circle at the center, surrounding the crossing point of the crosshairs. Makes it similiar to shooting a red dot system, you get on em quick. So a variable 3x9x40 would give you low enough power for quick target acquistion with the 3x, and the 9x power would still be enough to draw up close, a coyote at say 200yds. The 40mm objective is sufficient for low light. The circle combined with the duplex crosshaired recticle gives you quick yet still well defined point of impact.

There is only one out there to my knowledge, and no it is not a BSA or a Simmons or for that matter a Leopold or Burris. It is a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 Circle X Crosshair. I have a couple and I really appreciate them. By the way, I also have Leopolds, Weavers, Simmons and even bought a BSA once, still have it, got lucky. I have what I called the Super Powers as well, a 6x20x40 fine crosshairs/w dot, for groundhawgin'is one of my favorites for that type hunting. ENJOY AND MAKE IT FUN.

Back