Which scope for less than $200 ?

Pilgrim on Earth

Need to scope my new 22-250, but didn't want to spend a fortune. I was just wanting all of your opinions on the best scope for under $200... certainly no more than $250 (for night and day coyotes). ??

I would look into the Burris Fullfield II. I had a 3x9x40 on my 25/06 Encore and just sold it to get a 4x14x42 Fullfield II. I use this gun primarily for night hunting and was very happy with it. You can get a 3x9 for under $200 from just about any of the better scope dealers (SWFA, Bear Basin, Midsouth, D&R). Also you may want to look at the Leupold VX-II. I have seen them as low as $240 from D&R.

For night hunting I really like a scope with a larger objective to gather all the light it can. For under $200 I would seriously look at the Simmons Atec scopes. Can be found from $110.00 to $169.99. They are a 3.5-10x44 come with a 3" sunshade and are extreemly clear for the money. Atleast look at them. Wal-Mart usually has them in stock in the cabinet.

On one of my rifles I have had a Simmons 6.5x20x44MAG for a long time and it has been a really good scope. You can find them brand new for around $129. For the money it is a great buy, plus it has a lifetime warranty.

Hey busta,

I was wondering about the Simmons 44 Mag's I got a pair of them for 54 each. (I was looking over my shoulders for the cops while I was in the parking lot even though I had the receipt). I got one on my 22-250 and one on a 308. They have been good so for but I have only hunted with the 308. I also have a Swift 4-12x40 on a Weatherby 308 and it has been great. They do not make my model any more but I would buy another in a hert beat.

Ray

I have a Simmons WT Classic 6.5-20x50 that I put on my 22-250 a while back. So far I love it, nice and repeatable, clear and has worked well for what I use it for. Got it at a gunshow for $99.

Leupold.
You can get a Leupold Vari Xl for under $200. I have been putting nothing but Leupolds on my centerfire rifles for years. I boutght my first Leupold in 1968. It when through a car werck and has gouges all over it but still works like a new one. I am now closeing in on 15 Leupold scopes and have never had a problem with any of them. I did buy acouple of Burrius scope for my handguns as Leupold didn`t offer what I thought I wanted at the time. I am about to send back a Burrius 3 x 9 scope because it move the point of impact about 5 inches at 85 yrds when you go from 3X to 9X. When it`s been repaired I will sell it and my other Burrius scopes and run nothing but Leupolds on my handguns eather.

No offense Rumple but BSA!!! C'mon man. I just bought my first non-Leupold the other day which happened to be a Sightron. Read a great review on them in Varmint Hunter Magazine by Norm Johnson who really put them through the paces. I haven't been disapointed. Mine is a 4-16 which was a little more than 200 (E-bay for 275) but after testing it at the range I'm favorably impressed. As for BSA do a search in the forum, there's been alot of talk about them lately, none good, so PLEASE don't waste your money!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the optic zone has the bushnell 3200 elite with the fire fly retical for around $200.00 bucks and its a great scope. shine the flashlite thru the scope and the reticals will glow nice and bright all night
Sportingly,
Cracker

I hate to spend money on a scope also, it's bad enough being able to afford only a few of the guns that I need! :rolleyes: However, every time I bought anything but a Leopold, I've been disappointed. The only thing worse than spending a fortune on a good scope is wasting $200 on a piece of junk, before spending the fortune on the good scope. I read these posts and I'm tempted to check out the Sightrons and the Swifts and the . . . whatever! Then I realize how that's worked out so many times in the past 30+ years.

Just listen to Catfish and Maximum Bob. I too am predudice to Leupold. Have 3 and had more years ago and none gave me any trouble. Better to spend a little more with less worry. Kinda like Ford vs. Chevy and we all know that Chevy is tops. Right?

I firmly believe you get what you pay for.
So my question to those who think otherwise, what does it take to be a good scope?

is it because the scope stays zeroed?

is it because the adjustments are accurate and repeatable?
is it because of good optical clarity?

Shouldn't it be all of these things?

Back