1st one this year

cutch

I've been stressing because of the lack of snow here.So I bought one of those sirens from ELK. inc. and my buddy and I tried locating Sat. morning. He took the siren to the other side of the block, about 1/2 a mile,from where I was listening. I tried a howling sequence before he got set up and heard nothing. The first siren run produced nothing so I had him try it again and this time I howled at the siren, the whole block fired up. I heard at least 4 yotes,2 of them must have been coming over to my first howls because they were within 200 yards of me.
I beat feet for the kennel and had the dogs back there in about 30 min. I cast Blackjack and 3 pups, within a half hour jack had one up. He was barking hard but the pups were just chopping once in a while. They headed south towards a pretty busy road, so I jumped in the truck to cut them off. When I got there the dogs were barking a little but I couldnt hear Jack, and it didnt seem like they were moving. I walked in to them and found a 12 inch culvert and could hear Jack inside fighting with the yote. Hes a pretty good sized dog and I can never figure out how he gets in those pipes. Pretty soon I can hear him coming out and I expect to see him pulling the yote out but when he gets out, no coyote but his nose is bleeding pretty good. While this was going on the pups were just screwin around rerunning the last hundred yards of the track. All of a sudden all hell broke loose about 80 yards behind me, apparently the coyote found a way out of the culvert and thought he was sneakin away and ran into the backups, lol. (I still cant find the other end of that pipe) The race really got going then, I felt bad for Jack, he was about 100 yards behind everyone else when they checked out. when I got caught up to them Jack was back in front and one of the pups had dropped out.we were 3 blocks from the jump site and the yote seemed like he had slipped the dogs. The other 2 pups came out to me so I boxed them up and tried to mark Jack. he was still in the middle of the block working but not barkin. We got posted on the crossings around the block and waited to see if he figured it out. about 1/2 hour later he opened up again and brought the coyote out to the road where I had posted my buddy's kid. He missed the yote 3 times while it crossed the field and road. The coyote found another gear and headed back to the block where we started. Jack hung with him the whole time and I couldnt seem to catch up to put the pups back in. They finally broke another road on the west end of the block and I knew we would get him then. he ran to the bank of French Creek and was to tired to swim I guess, I heard Jack baying so I just opened the box. They all bailed in and had him stretched in about 2 min. This was the first time we've ever run on bare ground outside of wire and I was very happy with the way Jack performed. I dumped the dogs at about 7am and we killed at around 12:30 I think it might have been shorter if the dogs were in runnin shape but this is only the second time out this year. I cant believe I didnt have a camera with me but I'll make sure to take one from now on.

good deal cutch stay after them!! I run with no snow more then i do with!! get some pics!! LOL great story!!

Vargy
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks guys. Jack is a good dog, he and his brother,Duke, are my best. Duke is the one that likes to run anything if he cant find a coyote rite away. If they are together they will kill the coyote pretty quick but its funny because niether wants to fight one without the other. even with other dogs, they will get a mouth full but dont really get serious.
We're getting snow now, should be a good day tomorrow.

Back