Overcalled coyotes

greenjeans

I live in an area that has a healthy coyote population. Problem is...every landowner around here has a mouth or electric caller, and they fire them up about twice a season, and no one ever kills any, and we have a county full of seriously educated predators. I pay attention to the wind, camo, getting in quietly and scent. In fact, I can find a pack of 'yotes howing at night, and I soon as I crank up the howler they clam up and are never heard again. I find fresh tracks in the area before I call. Anybody have any hints on how to beat a classroom full of PhD coyotes?

You'll probably have to try some different and off the wall sounds...maybe a duck call..or an elk..sounds goofy, but it really works,,,a clucking chicken,a turkey call, or a sheep...might even try a decoy, maybe even a live decoy. It gets tough , and you might even take a long shot or two, but it's not impossible. Good luck...Randy

As Randy said you might have to get a little funky..If you hunt around farms or suburbs try a domestic call like feline or pup distress.Turkey or goose calls have worked for me in tough situations as well if they are applicable to you'r area.

I'd eliminate any electronic call because they usually don't have much inflection or real life,dying flesh sounds that make alot of predators stomach growl.

I don't know anything about coyotes but by this time of year we have some seriously educated fox running around here. As the others have said the best thing you can do is to change the way that you do things. If you normally hunt from a vehicle, then walk, if you normally use a red light, change to another colour even change the time of night that you hunt an area. If your area is open enough, try moving around until you spot the eyes rather than standing and trying to call them to you. I've seen fox that were completely happy to sit under the light until they heard the smallest squeak and then they were off. A bait may help to draw animals into a shootable position.

What ever you do these animals are going to be wary, so like Randy said practice shooting at long ranges. Hunting educated animals is always going to be hard work and you need a little luck on your side but when you do connect it is more satisfying than a dozen naive, easy after harvest cubs.

Good luck

Pete

Sounds good so far...I don't think we have too many elk in central MN, but the duck/turkey call idea will be worth a shot. I am not against long shots, I sight in regularly at 2-300. I never have been a real huge fan of electronic, as I have heard others use them from a distance, and to me they don't sound real. The bottom line I guess is that it needs to sound real to the critter and not to me. Thanks for the help.

God speed and good shootin'

Roebuck, I suppose I also should have said that we can't use lights here. May be somewhat helpful if we could, but with snow cover it is usually not a problem. This year is a different story, as everything is brown, when we should have 2 feet of snow by now. Critters may not be as hungry to come to a call for that reason as well. So I may have to wait for -20 degrees and a good snow cover....hopefully soon.
Thanks again.

Just because you have no elk, doesn't mean they won't come to a cow elk call. I know, I use one a lot, and there are not many elk in Texas either. You need to find something that maybe he's never heard before, right..then there you go. Randy

greenjeans,

Saying you are in Central Minnesota shed a whole new light on the situation.

Minnesota coyotes are smart. As much hunting as I do here, I seldom call in a coyote during the daytime. But, at night they are suckers. In the mean time, first and last light may work. If you have any pull with the man upstairs, pray for some snow.

Randy

I know that turkey calling diaphrams will work on bobcat so you may want to give them a try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back