Moon Brightness??????

captkb

I was just wondering if the brightness of a half to full moon effects calling coyotes at all. I went out this past Thursday night (about 1/2 moon) and we only saw one coyote in about 10-12 stands. Is the moonlight having this effect on anyone else or was this just one of those off nights?

Good question. I went out 2 nights ago and all I saw was rabbits. Got a pack to howl but never showed up. I am new to night hunting so I am eager to see the response.

They still move during a bright moon, but I don't think they move as much as in the dark.I see a lot more moving during the day following a full moon. The key is the way you run the light. If you take the light off an incoming Coyote, they will see you and bug out. Everything is bright for them, even more so than for you. It makes it a little tougher, but I've killed a lot of stuff under a full moon. Randy

Thanks for the input Randy. I took a look at your website and notice the rig in the back of your truck. Nice setup!! I built one simular but with two seats. Anyway I take it that while hunting under a full moon in one of these rigs a person being up that high with no background isn't a concern? This was the first thing I thought about the other night once I noticed how bright the moon was. I noticed you had your spotlight mounted on the front of your chair. Is this a permant mount or just a holder?

Thanks Randy. I have been reconsidering in doing a few little changes on my rack, like extending the height of the two chairs and redo my shooting brackets. A guy that lives down the street has one real simular to what you show on your site. I know he bought it somewhere but not too sure of where. Does yours swivel down out of the way? His does but mine are removeable - lay down in the back of the truck bed. Anyhow thanks again for the ifno.

Man, that photo gallery is SICK :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All we get around here are reds and they are giving me all I can handle at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif :rolleyes:

-Kromer-

Hey Cap..is that guys name Bill Tate??? If so, he's been coming out and hunting with me several times. He's a really good guy, and he built the chair just like mine. My chair does lay down in the back of the truck and can easily be removed completely by hand. Randy

Yep thats him. He and my Dad grew up together. I had thought he said he bought his chair but I have slept a few hours since then. I will have to hit him up about his hunts with you.

Back