spotlight question

coyote12

I have been having a problem with my spotlight lighting up my whole pickup when hunting at night. I have a white pickup and that doesn't help. Here is the question. I have heard of a lot of guys taking a coffee can and cutting the bottom off and attaching it to their spotlight to help prevent lighting the pickup up. Does this work. I have a 700000 CP and a 200000 CP both with red lenses and need to cut down on the amount of light right at the pickup. I don't have the luxury of having a high chair. Just stand on the tool box.

A 6-8" hood will make a heck of a difference. You might even want one a little longer. I use a piece of thin walled 6" pvc for my hood.

I have a coffee can on my 400,000 Q beam with red lens. I put it on there for the same reason you mentioned, light on the truck. Full size coffee cans with the bottom knocked out fit just right over a q beam, I spray painted the silver inside of the can black. The q beam has two screws in the top and bottom of the light, I drilled two holes in the can, used the light screws to attach the can to it. Then used camo duct tape (of course, no engineering project complete without it!) to snug up the light and can. The can really tightened the vail of the light, and now the truck doesn't reflect any at all. I stand on my tool box as well. A would think a white truck makes it tough.

Coyote 12,
What makes you think that you are lighting up your truck with a red lens?
Here is test for you to try. Have a friend of yours stand out at 100 yards and then you shine the light at him from your truck. Your friend should not be able to see your white truck with the red lens and remember, the coyote sees the red light as "black"

If you need to put a hood on, here is a very easy, light weight and noiseless way.
Get some of boxes that are at the stores like Sear's, JC Pennys that they use for shirts, socks, etc.They are the "white" boxes, cut out the bottom and spray the outside with "Flat" black paint. Then wrap the piece around your light to make it fit and then tape it real good. Your hood can now be slipped off and on in about one second and never make any noise.
If your going to be using it in the rain, then spray the cardboard with a silcon spray. My hoods are about 15 yrs old now and still good.

Another tip; I fitted the red lens to the end of the hood and used "electrical" tape to hold it on the end.

All though I have used this system for spotting coyotes for many years I don't use the hood much any more. The reason being, I now use a spot light that has a adjustable focus. By adjusting63 the lens to a wider beam it makes it more harder for the coyote to see my truck, actually when the beam is set right he can nver see the truck.

Back