what a rush!!!

backwoodsboy223

got to go hunting this past sunday. i woke up at 2:00 am and looked at the moon and it was bright, so my hunting buddy DI_Dan and i got a move on and headed out to the ranch we wanted to hunt. we can't hunt with a light here in new mexico, so we had to rely on the light of the moon. we arrived at the first stand right about 3:30 am. we set up against a trench that a backhoe had dug out facing a fringe of cedars split in half by a sandy draw. about 10 minutes into calling we saw the outline of a coyote moving towards us from the east. i had a 12 gauge 870 loaded with 3 inch magnum #4 buck, so i waited for the shot. at about 75 yards he disappeared and we never saw him again. as we were driving to the next stand we saw a whole bunch of jackrabbits in a flat, so we stopped the truck and got out and started calling. it wasn't 2 minutes that a coyote came on fast but wouldn't come into shotgun range. coyotes 2, me 0. we called a couple more stands early, and then spent the whole rest of the day calling but never got any takers. i don't think that i will ever forget the adrenaline rush trying to shoot a coyote that is hunting you in the dark. that is a feeling that will always stay with me.
bwb

Ya got guts, Saturday night was less then a quarter moon, so you were in the dark, 40minutes before sunrise, legal light is 30minutes before sunrise, it was black, I know I was setting up for my first stand, here in the land of enchantment. Are you using night vision or what. I sure couldn't have seen a coyote out a hundred yards.

we set up facing east, and the glow of albuquerque's lights were lighting up the horizon, so we could see silhuoettes. we hunt on the King Ranch, i don't know if you know where that is, but it is fairly close and fairly accessible, about 20 minutes out of Rio Rancho. where are you hunting this year? i have not seen near the numbers of coyotes this year that i have in the past. we ought to hook up sometime and call a stand or two (or 30) together. take care.
bwb

yes sir, i have been told that the king ranch i hunt on breaks off a few miles west of the TX border and then picks up again. don't know if this is the same one, but the guy who gave us permission to hunt on it says that it extends far enough north that he has shot elk on it, and far enough west that he hog hunts on it. interesting.
bwb

hey gunnut, you know that the ranch is private land. geez, if there was zero hour monday i would smack you upside the head. hey man, call me and let's go on up to the bonanza creek ranch again.
bwb

Back