Kemmerer Mountain Cur Pup ?

Utahdogger

Rock Creek Curs promised me a pup, now I can't get him to answer messages, anyone else got any ? Fella out of Colorado offered me one for a good price, but he won't travel to meet me halfway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
My daughter thought we would have a pup for Christmas, sure not looking like it !

If you would like, I could call Roy Kemmer and see if he knows someone around there that has some of his dad's dogs.
Roy and I are pretty decent friends.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Ok, hot off the phone with Dave James, 406 380-0058. He has 3 dogs left. They are 12 wks old, 2 males and one female for $400 each. Act fast as they won't be around long. Several folks have asked about Bubba and where I got him. Dave has been breeding these dogs since the 80's. They are the same dogs Merv Griswold uses in Dogging Coyotes. Merv's dogs are from Dave's line.

Bopeye,

When we bought Bubba for $400 my wife asked "did you get any papers". My response was "If this dog can hunt, he don't need any papers".

I have a sneeky feeling Bubba is worth more than $400 now. Most people spend more than that on cokes every year. I just don't understand why people balk at paying a decent price for dogs that have a proven track record. Dave sold 36 pups last year. He has built a reputation of having good dogs. Well worth the money in my book.

Quote:
Bopeye,

When we bought Bubba for $400 my wife asked "did you get any papers". My response was "If this dog can hunt, he don't need any papers".

I have a sneeky feeling Bubba is worth more than $400 now. Most people spend more than that on cokes every year. I just don't understand why people balk at paying a decent price for dogs that have a proven track record. Dave sold 36 pups last year. He has built a reputation of having good dogs. Well worth the money in my book.

I didn't say he wasn't worth $400. I've seen curs that were finished squirrel and coon dogs go for $8000 or more.
It's just that I live right here in the same county where the Kemmer Mtn. Cur and the Original Mtn. Cur were started and still call home and I haven't seen pups go for that much. They are usually around the $150 to $200 mark, some go for $250.

I have a cur right now who's daddy was a Super Grand Squirrel Champion, a 2 time Kentucky State Champion, and a 1 time world champion and I gave $200 for the pup.

I'm sure Dave James' pups are worth $400 if that's what the going rate is for them out west. I know Robert Kemmer and his son Roy have sure shipped a bunch out west.

Look in your dogs pedigree and see if it has the old Daniel Boone dog in it. That dog killed a bobcat by himself. My pastor's grandpa bred, raised and owned the Boone dog. His name was Dewey Ledbetter and he started the Cur as we know it back in 1957. Boone was the daddy to the Kemmers Rough dog. Good line of dogs no doubt.

I really don't have the desire nor inclination to debate. Feed what ya like and like what ya feed. The only person that has to be happy with the dog you own is you.

Merry Christmas.

I think dogs are alot like mules , as soon as you get to the rocky mountain states the price starts going up . Theres not that many of those cur dogs out here so it's supply and demand . I realy don't know what the deal is on mules , but out here it doesn't seem to matter what they've got , folks want 2500.00 plus and they really don't have to know anything . Happy holidays , Bruce

You may have a good point there 62bmw. All of my kinfolk are out in Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Washington and none of them had heard of an Original Mtn. Cur or a Kemmer Mtn. Cur until this summer.
I went back to the panhandle of Nebraska for a family reunion and when we got to talking about hunting and dogs they asked me if I had any. I told them what I had and they looked at me like I was making it up or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I came back home and e-mailed several of them my website so they could see for themselves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I could see where supply and demand for these dogs out west could affect the prices. Earlier it was mentioned to try out squirrel dog central.....lot's of info. there.
These dogs are used quite successfully on bear, bobcat, squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, wild boar, etc.
You name the game and usually they are smart enough to learn it. Can't get them to point much though.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Both of you guys are right. There are lots of Curs back in the midwest and east, you get out here and they are few and far between. Supply and demand. Dave doesn't have a problem selling his dogs so I guess the demand is still good. I never payed $400 for a dog but when Dave rattled off who had his dogs and what they were doing with them I figured it was worth a shot.

grounder-1.jpg

I don't miss the $400 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Maybe I need to import a pair and start breeding my own huh ?

Now there's an idea Utah. I'll be having access to a bunch of pups out of the dogs pictured below. Two of them are being trained for tolling dogs. They are working out good thus far. Maybe I can send you a pair of pups out of a couple of the litters and you can start breeding them. I'll get them out to you and you start doing some breeding....well, I'll pm or e-mail you and we can work out the particulars. Why sell pups here for $150 to $200 if we can get twice that there........only makes good business sense. Here's the dogs.

328Jack_10-23-06-med.jpg

This is one of my pups that is being trained for coyotes.

328wheeler14.jpg

This is my pups daddy that has all those titles.

328Headricks_June.jpg

My pups mama.

328Laney_after_squirrel_9-1-06-med.jpg

One of my females......starting to make a nice tolling dog.

328stacyjimbobcat-med.jpg

A half brother to my dogs.

There's two litters on the ground right now out of the dog in the second picture. They are $200 a piece, but out of different mothers.
Let me know if your interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back