how do u tell eyes apart??

BJanecke

hey everyone,
just wondering when u go out at nite callin and u have an animal come in, how do u know that its either a fox or a coyote, how can u tell? thanks for the help.

Some people say they have different colored eyes, but with a red lens shining on them, they all look red. A coyote and a fox come in looking a lot alike, although when they get closer, a fox will be closer to the ground, and in most instances will come straight in. A coyote (and some reds) will sometimes circle downwind, but most greys will come straight. Use a good scope or binoculars to make sure of your target. randy

BJanecke,
If you're using a red lensed light: Once you see the outline of the animal, he's within range for using a shotgun.

If eyes is all that you can see then he's out of range for MOST shotguns. Rifles are a different story.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Actually, that all depends on how much light you use. I can clearly see the "outline" of an animal at over 100 yds...my shotgun won't shoot that far. Randy

i appreciate all the help guys, im kinda new to night hunting, i do all my hunting in the morning and afternoon. but ill b sure to use ur tips.

I can usally tell probably by how far the eyes are appart and how it reacts to the call. We only have foxes here in oz so telling them apart from cows, sheep and deer isnt to hard. If you have a scoped rifle then identification is easy....if you have a shotgun its usally close enough to see the outline before your able to shoot.

If in doubt then you simply dont shoot.

As some other guys stated...with a red lens,the eyes appear red...you can sometimes go by the animal's responses and actions..also the distance between the eyes,distance from eyes to ground...size of animal.

Learning the body language and how they respond to your call will give you a good idea on what you are calling in but that doesn’t matter. As you know you should never shoot at any thing that you cant positively identify. I got a REAL schooling in animal identification in Africa. We would see or call in animals at virtually every stand. Eyes were everywhere; Steenbok, Duiker, Springbok, Mountain Reedbuck, Springhare, Cape Fox, Aardwolf, Bat-eared Fox, Genet, Cape Hare and African Wildcat were just the “USUAL” things that we would see! I was going nuts. If a guy didn’t have his poop in a group over there, you could get in a lot of trouble. I am very thankful that my guide was a professional ADC man. If he took a second look at a set of eyes you better be ready to shoot. It was astounding how he could identify the different species with one sweep of the light! I guess doing it literally all the time will give you a trained eye.

Good hunting.

Q,

Back