270 WSM or 6.5 x 284

Cruizin

I'm going to build a long range rifle and I'm trying to decide between these two. I'm having a hard time finding ballistic info comparing these two so that's my first question. Does anyone know of any resources comparing these two calibers?

Second do you think the 270 WSM has a longer barrel life?

Third what do you think the killing range is on an elk with these two calibers? About the same? If so what range would that be about?

Thanks

+1 on the 7mm WSM

A couple of guys I know shoot it and the caliber is superb for hunting.

I was wondering why it was not in the list of choices.

I was looking at the 7mm WSM and the 7MM STW but the 6.5 x 284 and 270 wsm seemed to out perform them from the little bit of data I have found.

I am after a long range gun that I can hunt with. Maybe do a few long range shoots out to 1000 yrds. From what I can tell the 270 WSM is really close to the 6.5 X 284.

What do you think the killing range is on an elk with these two calibers?

Either has enough energy left to take an elk at 500yds.if you go by 1500ft lbs for elk theory. Here's my custom 270wsm, had the same thing in mind as you, longe-range gun I can hunt with. It weighs 9lbs exactly as shown, could lighten it up a bit with a smaller scope and Talley LW rings if I wanted......2MG

100_0175.jpg

100_0178.jpg

100_0179.jpg

If you're looking to shoot long range I believe the 7mm or better yet the .30 cals have better selection on bullets designed for long range shooting.
I own and really have fallen in love with te 270 wsm but find it lacks in bullet weight selection for those real long ranges.

I have thought about the .30 cals but don't like the thought of the recoil. I once fired a 300 win mag from a prone position and wasn't behind the gun good enough and the scope hit me between the eyes. Can't believe I'm telling you all this but it happened and I haven't shot that big of a gun since. I want to shoot good at longer ranges so I'm thinking I should stay away from the .30 for now. It would be nice to not have a muzzle brake as well.

I don't know how bad is the 300 WSM compared to a 300 Win Mag?

I read the 6.5 x 284 kicks a little more than a 308 but is about even with a 30-06.

I'm a little partial but personally I don't think you can go wrong with the 6.5. I admit that brass is a little hard to find right now but the down range balistics and high BC make up for it. For further info check out http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html and also the forums, there is a lot of info there.

My handgun hunting partner used his APS 7mm Dakota with a 7 twist Lilja barrel to take his cow elk this yr. @ 666 yds. He was shooting the .8+ BC 200 gr. Wildcat bullet, and has an 8.5-25X Leupold Mk. 4 on top. He dragged his Dell Axim Pocket PC out there with him, along with his Kestrel. If you're trying to get out to LR in a rifle you'd be hard-pressed to beat a combination like this. Here's a pic of his HG with a 1st shot connection @ 1000--

408316.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I have a tikka t3 lite stainless in 270 wsm shooting 140 GR accu-bonds and love it it outperfourms the 30-06 and will drop a coyote in its tracks.
The farthest I have shot something was 300 yards and that was a coyote and droped it.
I dont know much about the other caliber but the 270 wsm is a great caliber.
Z.House

Have you considered a 6.5 WSM. A friend built his an a Savage action last year and it is smokein'. You get the selection and good BC's of 6.5 with the WSM power. I have seen a few other comments on them on other sites and they seem to be outstanding. My next barrel will be a 6.5 WSM or -06 Ackley. The WSM is a little hard in the wear department.

Back