Quik-shok vs. stinger vs. Velocitor, best .22 lr high velocity

utahpredator_7

All of these three are CCI's, obviously. The velocitor is a 40gr. speer gold-dot hp, and 1475 fps. The quick shok is a 32 grainer at 1600+ fps that splits in three. I'm not quite sure about the stinger, but I think it is the same speed as the velocitor. I am stuck with my 10/22 for yotes on thursday. I have shot velocitors, not at yotes, but am wondering which would be the best. right now I am set on the quik shocks. Has anyone tried all three, or shot yotes or foxes with any of them, and how did they stack up? thanks!

One of the best .22lr rounds i have used is winchesters power point.
I haven't shot any coyotes with them but if i had to use a .22lr this would be the bullet i would use.

Gary

Shoot the ones that are accurate for your rifle. We we run coyote with dogs in the winter we use the .22LR....10-22's mostly due to the "distraction factor" and not wanting to hit a house with an errant bullet zinging way out there.

I have been trying everywhere to find the Winchester Power Point 40 gr HP and no one has them. Winchester must have stopped production. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

according to that test thing above, Velocitor is on top of the pack, I guess I'll keep shooting them, and get some quik shoks for shooting bunnies and pot guts.

The Federal is what i am using now, since the power points are not available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quik Shok is ABSOLUTELY the most leathal 22LR round there is. We shoot thousands of rabbits every year here in West Texas. The Quik Shok is THE round of choice to kill from a rifle or pistol. It is very accurate and kills where others only wound.

I agree about the lethality of the Quik-Shok and so might the writer of that article if he had tried some on something besides paper and milk jugs!
Where the article goes awry in my opinion is that the author has field experience with only one of the rounds tested (I'm going by what he wrote mind you). It doesn't seem to dawn on him that most small pests and game do not really NEED alot of penetration! A hollowpoint that penetrates three jugs is much more penetration than a rabbit or squirrel would need but it is quick killer anyways because that expansion is happening fairly quickly upon entering the animal. I do realize that he was considering the potential for much larger animals. With that said, it seems to me that if a larger animal like a goat or a deer was close enough to get the full damage from a long rifle bullet's expansion, then the likelihood is that he is close enough for a clean brain shot, in which case, a penetrating bullet (even a solid) IS the best choice.
A Quik-Shok is NOT a penetrator but I can tell you that it will do clean job on small game and varmints. A buddy of mine took a woodchuck at a good 75+ yards with a chest shot and he said that the 'chuck went into freeze frame--just froze--dead as a doornail! He had been using Velocitors but switched over to Quik-Shok because, as he said, he'd never seen anything that deadly from a ".22". Myself, I remember cutting a pigeon COMPLETELY in half at the middle of the body. Also, a sparrow taken with a Quik-Shok blew up in a pillow of feathers and I never found anything, not even feet or a beak! First time I'd ever had a bird completely disappear (except for those feathers slowly floating down for what seemed to be five minutes)!
The friend I mentioned that took the chest shot woodchuck with the Quik-Shok also did his own milk jug tests at a measured 100 yards using this round plus the Velocitor, the Stinger, regular hollowpoint, subsonic hollowpoint AND the new at the time .17 Mach II. He used one jug only because he knew that for the critters these cartridges were designed for, the vitals would be contained somewhere in that FIRST jug! Only the Quik-Shok came remotely close to the Mach II in damage at that range! All of the other loads were SOUNDLY and DECISIVELY trounced! Now the irony of it all is that I KNOW that the Stinger can be very deadly on smaller pests at 100 yard type ranges (if you can hit 'em in the first place with it) and so that put the damage to the jugs in a very real and clear context! In other words, the Quik-Shok was doing some REAL HEAVY-DUTY DAMAGE even at 100 yards!
As for penetration, let me tell you about an experiment I did a decade or so ago that I found VERY eye opening! I took a couple of average sized adult fox squirrels (2-3 pounds with leathery hide) freshly head shot with a rim-fire and ran some penetration tests using a pump up pneumatic Crosman 2100 .177 airgun. The pellet? I used a NON-penetrating Crow Mag pellet. At point blank range using 5 pumps behind the shoulder, this little pellet at about 6ft.lbs.(chronoed) penetrated through both lungs and reached the far side of the animal. Folks it doesn't take alot to get sufficient penetration on small game and pests.
On a coyote at 50 yards, I wouldn't want to go through the shoulder with ANY rimfire load. Centerfire hunters report problems with this placement. A bullet that COULD get through would have to sacrifice wound channel size way too much for penetration (and even then, the bullet would have a hard time getting through on a straight line). Aside from a brain shot (always a precarious thing), the best possibility would be a shot right behind the shoulder in the ribs through both lungs. A Velocitor would be a good choice but so might the Quik-Shok. Just stay away from bad angles.
I shot the Quik-Shok at point blank at a water filled milk jug and did the same with the .22 Mag CCI Maxi+V (30gr. @ 2200fps). To be perfectly honest, the Maxi did noticeably more damage than the Quik-Shok but as a friend and I acknowledged to each other, the Quik-Shok gave MUCH, MUCH more damage than we could have ever guessed from a .22 LR case load! In fact, I'd say that at that same close range, the Quik-Shok would have done MORE damage than a 40gr. .22 MAG load! THAT is impressive but it's one of those things you have to see to completely believe! And the name of the game for stopping critters is damage, damage of the vitals. It's not energy (at the muzzle or at the animal) per se, it's the DAMAGE caused and some bullets are better designed to cause that damage! Quik-Shok performs WAY above what its' figures would suggest! --- Mike Pearson

I agree the quik-shocks are nasty on 2lb animals. It will take a grey squirrels head clean off. Everyone has there opinions & here is mine with field experiments to back it up.

A few years back (before there were many yotes round) I shot many a grey fox with a 22lr. I had always shot mini-mags & stingers. At 60yards or less a single shot to the shoulder will send a grey into a trampoline gymnast. Some go down for the count but most flop around a few seconds.

I got ahold of some quik shoks (back when Eley was producing them) and was very impressed with them on birds & squirrels. I shot three grey fox with them & every one ran off after a kick in the air. Two of them were far enough in a field I seen them go down (1 about 50, other ~65yards). The third & final I'll shoot w the dummy bullets died away in the thick.

I would recommend using the quik-shoks on anything

I was looking at the Quik-shok part number 0064 on CCI's website this morning and intend to try them asap. Dont take this wrong, they may very well be the most lethal 22 LR ammo out there but.....if the ballistics that CCI published about this round are true they need to change the name to Magic-shok. Zero chance that what they wrote could be correct, velocity loss of something like only 20 fps from 0 to 100 yds???? The energy figures were even more unbelievable, a 22 magnum cant even do that!!! Check it out, maybe I read it wrong. Tried to call their tech line but got an answering machine. Will advise of their reply if I ever get one.

Quote:
I have been trying everywhere to find the Winchester Power Point 40 gr HP and no one has them. Winchester must have stopped production

Powerpoint is also my prefer choice of hunting 22LR, not only they are the most destructive .22 bullet, by far they are also deadly accurate. The last time I found them was at a show and I bought up all 5 bricks on the table. I know the box shows it’s made in Australia, not sure if they are Winchester private labeled product but I know they are hard to find in the store.

The woodchuck I mentioned was alot heavier than 2 pounds. It was shot right behind the shoulder. In the last Varmint Hunter's magazine, there was a very extensive field test of the different hot rimfire cartridges, .17 and .22. The Quik-Shok was used on one grey at 35 yards and it was an instant kill. His shot went straight to the chest cavity (no shoulder). I think it's amazing that an obstacle as small as a fox's shoulder could cause a bullet so much trouble in penetrating to the vitals but yours is obvious proof of that!
There IS another side to the issue though and that is how QUICKLY an animal drops and expires. I believe that your gymnastic fox are probably typical of those anchored by the broken shoulder and expiring because of a decent sized (relatively speaking) hole through the vitals. Those are good results but I'd want something more destructive of the vitals to shoot something the size of a coyote or feral dog for that matter. The fox in Varmint Hunting Magazine and the woodchuck (even tougher than fox in my opinion) were dropped stone cold with a single chest shot. Would they have if they were hit in the shoulder? I think your fox are the answer to that!
By the way, I believe that's why so many are sour on the rimfire magnums for use on coyotes. It seems that the ones who succeed on the 'yotes with rim-fires don't ask their little, mildly powered bullets to do what they' incapable of doing---shoulder shots, angling shots and Texas rear shots. They wait for a direct-entry behind the shoulder, double-lung shot or they pass. My guess is that they have be really patient or they're passing alot of shots!;0)) A coyote comes straight in, you're going to want to take the shot. With a rim-fire mag, you really need to wait till he shows you a broadside profile or have your calling set-up so that he does that naturally to get to the caller.
Thanks for your post!!!

Quik Shok does anchor (kill) quickly! I agree w/ Mike, this round puts down the smaller critters now. I have seen Jacks in W. Tex, 4+ lbs, shot multiple times w/ HP 22LR's and not go down. The Quik Shok puts these guys down in one shot. Saves, time, money and stress on the beastie. Also, if ya shot a 22 semi auto pistol they are great. The increased MV makes up for the shorter barrel and with the increased leathality really ups your kill percentage.

Another thing to remember, I am mostly after yotes where I am going. I bought stingers today, and it was the only of the three that wally world had. I guess I'll try it! I also have 3 velocitors left, and I'll put one in the chamber, and the other two in the top of the clip. thanks!

Back