Eyes and movement at night

Muleskinner2

I was just reading another post, and raised a question to myself that I would like to hear your input on.
Why do animals eyes shine at night and do they see better than we humans do at night? I'm not really lookin' for a scientific answer but all input is welcome.
I think I was taught in school ( a few yaers back) that the reason they shine is something to do with the light gathering whatever they have in there eyeballs.
I guess according to the type of response, another question would be is how much movement can you get away with at night? For you fellas out west, where you can shoot 400 miles I would guess you could get away with alot. I'm kinda talking about within a hundred yards or so.

Well Muleskinner its like this.
We have more rods in our eys and less cones.
and animals with good night vision have a lot of cones.

now cones gather light and draw it in to the eye. rods just gather the same amount of light at all times.

Its like a 20 mm scope for night shootin compared to a 60 mm optic.
It gathers more light.

Hope this explaines it ok.

Keep your batteries charged.
Scott

------------------

I forgot 1 thing you asked.

If the moon is up at all, or you have cloud reflection, you can not get away with anything. THEY SEE YA.

but on a black dark night I have walked 50 yds through a field with my light on the fox and shot him at 20 yds.

see he cant see behind the light, its like a shield. Try it some time.
walk up to a hunt partner some night with a dull light in his eyes and you will find out
what you can get away with and when to stay still as a corps.

Good luck.
Keep your batteries charged !!!

------------------

Back